CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR

The day of the regional games had finally arrived.

Excitement and anticipation radiated off on looking students, as we marched down the hallway in our silver, house uniforms forming an impressive v shape behind Axel. I took in a deep breath and listened to the eager buzz of various cheers and chants of support as we made our way down the field.

We stopped at the edge of the field and watched as the Water region and the Fire region lined up ready to begin the games.

"Nervous?" asked Chase, over the ear-splitting echo of the bell that signalled to start of the game.

"Not yet" I smiled.

I looked back to the game to see somebody spiralling towards the ground with an arrow sticking out of their chest. I gulped hard and looked back at Chase.

"Well I am," he said in astonishment, these games are intense.

I nodded my head and continued to watch the game alongside Chase until cheers erupted from the crowds singling the victory of the Fire region, we clapped out of respect and watched their gleeful faces as they left the field.

After a couple of minutes of people being carried away to heal on stretchers and the handing out of flags, the next game began,  Air and Earth. Lucky for us, we didn't have to compete in this round since it would be unfair on us and our dragons to do two continuous games, so half of our original team lead the game. We watched closely as our team battled the Earth region fiercely, making the whole game swift and simple, so we beat Earth in a record time and minimum injuries so we were set to compete against House Fire to decide the overall champion.

I turned to look at Chase who seemed to look slightly calmer now that our team had won, but he still watched anxiously as the team began to filter out of the field so it could be prepped for the next game. Our game.

"Come on, you two need to eat something," Axel said while approaching us quickly.

He didn't bother waiting for our response before dragging us off to sit at a table. I saw that Shade was already there and took a seat opposite him.

"What's after the dragon teams?" asked Chase as he slumped down beside me.

"General combat" answered Shade.

Chase nodded his head before basically inhaling a sandwich. I sighed quietly and took a small sip of my water to calm my developing nerves.

"Where the hell is Orpheus anyway?" I asked noticing his absence.

Shade and Chase looked around and gave a small shrug.

"That little shit better show up!" shouted Axel from across the table.

I swear, that boy has super hearing when he wants too.

"He will," I laughed confidently, but Shade looked unsure. 

We talked strategy with Axel and the other teammates until the bell rung out, singling the winning team to get ready.

"Who won?" asked Jackson, who was one our teammates and had also arrived late.

"Us!" replied Axel with a competitive look on his face. "Ok... remember guys, this is our year!" he shouted, hitting his hand to his heart in two quick beats.

We copied his gesture and gave a small cheer to make him happy.

"Everyone get into formation!" he said eagerly.

We jogged back into our v shape and walked strongly into the field with our heads held high. I may have looked calm from the outside but butterflies swarmed my stomach, making in churn uncontrollably with nerves, resting an uncomfortable feeling in my gut, I pushed my nerves aside the best that I could and focused my attention on Obsidian.