CHAPTER 1

I stared into the mirror as I always did, analyzing my makeup that I had done to cover up my many flaws. I thought about what it would be like to be able to cover up my scars. Or better yet, make them disappear. As I was getting lost in my thoughts, my roommate Audrey stumbled into the bathroom almost knocking me over. She looked like a literal train wreck. Her dirty blond hair was in tangles and her mascara had trailed down her face. "Woah, wild night last night huh?" I asked, even though that it was completely obvious and I already knew the answer. "Yep, I'm not sure if I will even survive this hangover." Before she could even finish her sentence, she hurled into the toilet. "That was pleasant um thanks for doing that 2 feet away from me." I said the sarcasm bleeding from my words. "It wasn't very pleasant for me either Cecily. Don't you have like, a job you should be at right now?" She flushed the toilet and stared up at me. I hold my hands up defensively. "Woah, calm down. And yes, I do have a job but I don't have to go in until later. Do you need anything from the store? I was just about to go on a grocery run."
"Just pick up as many drugs as you possibly can that will help this hangover." I laughed at that. "Yes ma'am! I will be right back." She was going to reply but, she puked again. Instead of talking she just gave me a thumbs up. I chuckled at her helplessness again and walked out of the bathroom. I sneaked one more peek of my face in the living room mirror then grabbed my keys off of the granite kitchen counter and headed to the door. Just as I was about to leave, a man walked out of Audrey's room and into the hall. I screamed when I saw him. "Oh! I'm sorry! I Didn't mean to scare you!" he said holding up one hand. I catch him string at the scars on my face and he cocks his head to the side. "Audrey?" I screamed still looking at the incredibly buff man in my living room. "What?" she yelled back. the echo following her voice told me that she was still sitting in the bathroom. "Who's your friend you failed to tell me about?" I said feeling more awkward by the second with him standing there in nothing but boxers."What frien- Oh! Good lord luke! didn't I tell you not to leave my room until he was out of the house?!" Audrey scolded at him gesturing towards me. We all stand there waiting for his reply and it gets more awkward by the second. "Well, as awkwardly awkward as this has been, I have to go. And I am now scarred for life, thank you for that Audrey.. You kiddos have fun now!" I say. I walk out and into the garage. I have no idea what was more awkward, the fact that he looked confused while staring at the flawed skin on my face or the fact that he was wearing only boxers. I open my car door and I was immediately welcomed with the vanilla scent that filled my car. It used to be my mom's car before she died in a house fire. When I was ten years old, my house caught on fire from a small candle. As a result of that house fire, I was covered with second and third degree burns mostly on the left side of my body. I made it out alive but my mom was not that lucky. I remembered my dad coming from work to the hospital and though I was only halfway conscious, I heard his faint sobs from outside the room where I was staying. I was in the ICU because of all my burns an because of how unstable I was. I was in so much pain physically but, when I heard those muffled sobs from my dad, the physical pain melted away and my mental pain took over. I felt as if my souls was being crushed into a million pieces. The memory of those muffled sobs leave shivers down my back. I snapped back into reality and turned my car on. The music came on blaring and that was just the way I liked it. I tapped my thumb on the steering wheel and sang along quietly to the music. I pulled into the nearest Walgreens and parked the car. collecting my purse and keys, I got out of my car and walked into the building. It was pretty much empty except for an ok couple in the back picking up their prescriptions. Who else would be here at 9:30 AM? "Goodmorning!" a young boy that looked about my age said. He smiled at me. I smiled back and proceeded to the back of the store for headache medicine and Tylenol PM. When Audrey had a hangover, it was best for everyone to have her heavily medicated. I wouldn't wish unmedicated hungover Audrey on anyone. I grabbed what I needed and headed back around to the checkout counter. The guy smiled again at me. "Looks like someone has a killer migrane or they have a killer hangover." I lughed and looked up at him. "My roomate is puking her guts out at home." he raised his eyebrows and laughed "How pleasant." i rolled my eyes, "Yeah it's lovely." he smiled at me. Well, your total is going to be12.57." I gave him the money. "What happened to your arm?" he asked casually. I quickly coverd it with my hand and I could feel the heat rushing to my cheeks. "Nothing." I replied. He noticed my embarrasment and hastily tried to fix it. "I'm sorry that wasnt my placeto ask." I smiled. "It's fine." I grabbed my receipt and walked out. That was awkward. I made it awkward. God, Cecily youre so dumb.