Chapter 23

It was like a punch to my gut as the emotions filled me from head to toe, but instead of gasping out loud, I kept still. I couldn't show weakness here even though all I wanted was to drop to my knees and wrap my arms around myself. I was still like stone, and I wanted the king to keep thinking that. But on the inside, it was turmoil and I was struggling not to break all pretends and run to Nox and cradle him in my arms. The amount of love and devotion I felt towards my maker and knowing he felt the same made it this whole situation that much worse.

I forced myself to look back at King Pedro, who was eying my reaction, a small smile playing on his lips. The energy within me roared, wanting to break free of my control and wipe that expression of his face. But I couldn't, because I knew that if I set it loose I wouldn't be able to control it.

"I never said he'd be unharmed," Pedro said casually with a shrug and I wanted to break his spine with my bare hands and watch him fold beneath me. Look calm, I repeated to myself, but it wasn't easy.

"The job," I just said, "Let's get going so Nox and I can leave before sunrise." For the first time in a while I could hear Nox's questioning in my head, but I shook it off. I'd tell him later when we were far away from here. But he'd need blood and fast. His wounds looked like they were barely closing and I figured they must have used silver weapons to slow the healing process. I will kill every single one of you bastards, I thought.

"But I need your word that Nox will not be further harmed," I added, clenching my fists against my sides.

"Sure sure," Pedro replied, "Nox will be right here and no one will touch him until your return."

"Good. Otherwise I will not hesitate to blast the roof off of this place."

"Splendid. Now, as for your job. Like I said it's fairly simple. It's a human so they really shouldn't cause you any trouble. They reside at pier fifty and if you're not back soon I might be forced to remove something from your maker."

"Pier fifty?" I said as something triggered inside me. "Why not just get one of your goons to do it?"

"Because now I have you here. The man runs a mechanic shop, but my cars have not received the proper care they need so he needs a warning. Physical enough to make it stick."

I feared where this was going, but I had to ask. "Name?"

"His name is John Carthwright and don't forget to be quick about it."

***

My mind was reeling as I ran through the dark streets of Seattle on my way to the docks and my father. The good thing was that the king didn't know John was my father. The bad thing was that my father was in business with the king and the king wasn't satisfied, but I couldn't really tell him off as I was now in the same position. Sort of.

It had taken me two minutes after leaving the house to realise King Pedro had sent someone after me. No doubt to check whether or not I'd actually relay the message.

The tangy scent of the ocean grew stronger and I knew I was getting close, despite not actually knowing where I was. I'd never been in this part of town with Nox before, but I figured that as long as I followed the smell I'd end up at the docks and then I'd continue until I found my way to my father's shop.

I heard the crashing of the waves long before I saw them glinting in the moonlight, and as I reached the harbour I spotted my father's shop. It lay further down on my right so I headed that way, fully aware of the vampire trailing me. I had yet to figure out what to do with him – I could turn around and kill him, but that could just mean more trouble for Nox. I could simply ignore him, but if he got close enough I couldn't tell my father to run without being overheard.