Chapter 13

Love. He loved me? How did this suddenly come about? I didn't even know exactly how to love someone, having never had the opportunity, except what I remembered of loving my parents, though I knew that was different.

Nox's hand was still cupping my face and I registered his thumb as it grazed across my cheek. I wanted to lean into his touch, but my body felt like stone.

"Emily, please say something."

The frown on my face deepened as I tried to figure out what to say.

"I don't understand," I managed to get out, "you love me?"

Nox's lips turned upwards. "Yes, I love you, Emily."

"Why?"

"Why?" Nox repeated, "because you are incredible and amazing and my feelings for you have been growing for a while, since before I had to turn you." Before? But before I was turned, I had Sam. It was Sam who had spent time with me, who had taught me so much, who had sacrificed himself for me. If I ever had loved anyone it would have been Sam. But I never got a chance to.

I didn't want to cry. I'd done it once, when I'd found out Sam had died saving me, but I'd been horrified of the fact that I'd cried blood as that was the only substance my body was running on now. I kept the bloody tears at bay and focused on Nox instead. He loved me. Sure, I felt different towards him because of our bond and the lust and hunger of his lips and body, but did that equal love? Could I love him? Perhaps it'd be easier, a small voice in my head whispered. Perhaps it would. To not worry or think too much about it all and just dive head first, knowing Nox was there to guide me.

My mind went back to our heated moments in the bed in the next room and I knew I wanted, no needed, more of that and I had a hard time picturing it happening with anyone else.

"Okay."

It was silent for a second before Nox even moved.

"Okay? You mean, you'll wear it?"

"Yes." I smiled up at him, a genuine smile that he instantly reciprocated. He slid the ring onto my finger and then kissed it. The touch of his lips against my skin made me suddenly want to go back to bed, hell, I'd rip his clothes off right here in the bathroom. He must have sensed my change of direction and chuckled as he intertwined our fingers.

"You are an insatiable creature," he muttered and I kissed him in reply. His tongue grazed my lip and I let out a soft moan, resulting in Nox's hand finding my bare hip and gripping it tightly.

"You have a meeting with your father to get to," he said against my lips and I knew we couldn't get too carried away.

"But we could be really fast," I offered and at that he laughed out loud. He held my head in his hands and kissed me once.

"I want to be able to enjoy and take my time with you, little fiend."

"Fine," I mumbled, but it was hard to appear cross with him when he smiled in that way. "And you're right," I said, stepping away from him, still completely naked, but I didn't care about that, "I want to see my father."

Finally dressed and feeling somewhat clean again, I left the blood hotel with Nox, his hand grasped tightly in mine. My hair, still damp had been tied up in a ponytail with a rubber band. I kept checking my hand, or rather the ring on my finger. It felt strange; I'd never worn a ring before, but I found that I liked the sight of it more and more.

We made the journey through the city as we'd done last night. It was easier now that I knew what to expect, but I was still nervous as we walked up to the entrance of my father's shop. The streets around it were deserted except for a few drifters pushing metal wagons in front of them, full of stuff. Nox told me that back in the day they were called 'vagabonds', but that they were completely harmless. I'd seen several walking around, pushing their metal wagons in front of them, which were filled with all kinds of stuff. Apparently, they weren't too afraid of vampires, but looking more closely and being able to smell them, I could see why other vampires would leave them alone. I let the vagabond be and focused instead on what was right in front of me. I listened for a second and let my senses reach out, making out two steady heartbeats inside.