One Shot

Here I am, swept into another situation I never expected to face alone. As I burst through the hospital doors I scream.

"My baby is coming!"

Two nurses run over to help prep me for labour. I'm surprised that they are helping. You would not expect a place of sanitation to assist some lowly bohemian in attire fresh from the trash. Things weren't always this way. I used to be an honour student from a middle class family; father was a banker and mother was a homemaker. Neither parent had time for me. Instead of helping me with my studies mom would spend hours at her housewives' club. Still, they were very demanding of me to excel.

Before I know it I'm on the delivery table. A doctor walks in talking about hot water, but all words soon become murmur as painful contractions intensify. All sounds grow distant, until the only thing I hear is "push". I clench my stomach and scream; then I blackout.

Stress can really compromise a girl, whether it comes from life or work or...school. I wish I was back in school. Sure I had a lot of expectations to fulfill, but at least it was better than now. Thinking back, those days were great and when I met Candy things became more tranquil. We didn't see each other much, but she always had a treat for me. The first was free but I had to pay for the rest. My grades fell harshly. My parents were furious, but never bothered to help me improve. My once effortless assignments became too demanding, so I left school.

Roaring flames from hell awaken me from slumber, only to comatose me once more. After I left school my parents kicked me out. I had no friends or money, but Candy stuck around. She was always kind; she gave me a source of income, working for her. I nearly got arrested once or twice but things ran smoothly. Eventually I quit when I met Jean Donor. Candy was very understanding – she was off to Harvard anyway. Donor was a great guy. He cleaned me up, fed me and gave me a home; he made me happy. It sucks that he's not here with me though. When I got pregnant for him I was ecstatic; however, he was enraged. Apparently his wife would get upset, so he ditched me. At least I know why he left so often. Now I'm here.

"Miss we need you to push!" A nurse says

I awaken and do as I'm told. Harder, Harder, Harder, I push until finally.

"There she is!" The doctor says

Hearing that makes me smile. The subsequent sounds of wailing make me cry. My arms fall weak as the nurse hands me my wrinkly newborn. I'm riveted by her beauty as she settles into me. I never even thought of a name. With that thought I begin to cry. I cry hysterical globs of salt and water. I weep like a beached whale. It takes a while, but I manage to form words

"I'm sorry~." I say repeatedly. "I'm sorry you're stuck with me! Your life is going to be torture! I wish that I could give you better. No, I will give you better! Just you wait, I'll –"

My head becomes numb. Everything is going blank. I lay my child next to me. The nurses try to ask me something but their voices are faint. Soon faces and walls turn fuzzy. I black out again. I think this is the last one.