Chapter Four

Chapter Four

   Chamomile and I have been close for longer than forever. I also felt safe melting into the background while she brought the charming. I felt comfortable playing family games at her house that would've usually humiliated me. Her family was very sweet and much like her. They all had bronzey skin, dark eyes, and curling hair. Her father never raised his voice with her- their only child- and always was welcoming to anyone even people who were hostile to her mother because of her medical conditions. And her mother was always at home sick, doing crafts on the coffee table almost unable to get up to go to the kitchen herself. Neither of them could have planned attacks all over Panem. Neither of them could have come up with the idea to implant someone with a device that they would depend on. And there was no possibility Chamomile could be behind it. Chamomile wouldnt let me kill a spider and was scared of my house because of Kaemon's obsession with the Hunger Games. She hated seeing things dead or thinking about death. My mother always says shes avoiding reality, but my father admires the quality in her. A war would wreck her. How could she have started it?

"That can't be right," I say.

Elias looks taken aback.

"I know the Newberry's,"

"You may know some Newberry's," he says.

"No- its a unique name. They made it up. They didnt like their last names,"

"There could be more Newberry's somewhere, Magnolia. Dont rush your thoughts into it,"

"They're practically against technology. Theres not much of it in Twelve still, but...," I try to explain my confusion to Elias, who seemed understanding until now when he looks at me almost as if I'm crazy.

Its impossible to escape this world once youre in it. I can hide in a room generated to look like a meadow forever. But it will chase you. Somethings, some thoughts, arent keep out by walls.

"Its nothing to worry about," he says, recollecting himself to smile reassuringly, "Its safe here in Thirteen,"

"What does the rose mean?"

"A rose?"

"Thats why we came. Someone knocked on the door and left a white rose," I raise my hands and show them to Elias who takes they gently and examines them, "It had a strong, unnatural smell. It cut our hands. Mine and Kaemon's I mean,"

"Whos Kaemon?" Elias asks as he sets my hands back down gently.

"My younger brother,"

"There's just you two?"

I nod, "He's obsessed with the Hunger Games and the Rebellion. He sits there and watches them and takes notes,"

"How..," Elias is clearly trying to come up with something nice to say, "Interesting that he'd take up that interest,"

"I think its creepy," I laugh.

Elias nods and apologetically says, "Yeah, a little bit,"

"So, how come you could just let yourself in here? What is this place anyways?"

"Oh, they dont care what I do. And its an observation room, but they dont use it much. I figured it'd be a place that you would like,"

"How could anyone not like it in here?" I say.

Elias laughs, "You can stay in here all day, if you want, Magnolia,"

I lay back into the grass again, "I think I'm going to do just that,"

*Note from me not part of story*

Hey Everyone~

I know I havent posted in a while and if you havent read this somewhere else here it is now. I am back and writing again. But it was a lot of discouraging comments that contributed in my stopping. And I just would like those negative comments to stop. I realize that you might not mean it that way- but that doesnt change anything. (PS sorry for all the typos/errors- my computer is working slow this evening and I was in a rush to get something to you.)

Thanks for all the support!

Love Paisley. <3