One

I slowly open my eyes to the beautiful summer morning, inhaling the scent of roses adorning my night stand. I tiredly sit up watching my room in awe, as the light curtains drape on the sides of my bed, the way the pillows look so silky smooth on the couch across from me, and last but not least I stare at the table dresser where my mom would brush my hair every morning when I was a kid. I got up - walked over and took a seat on the chair after what felt like years, she barely even looks at me now. My parents became immensely rich five years ago, ever since then it seems like they forgot I existed or at least it felt like it. My father is a TV famous plastic surgeon who's always at work or attending overseas conventions, my mother is a stay at home wife although she does things kind of different at home since she's sleeping with the gardener every other day of the week, I caught her once when I got home early from shopping at the local boutique but honestly I don't blame her since my father is only at the house twice a year for Christmas and my birthday. Besides my mother is almost positive he's sleeping around with his secretary.

"Emily, sweetie please get ready for breakfast, the table is set and everyone is waiting." My mother yells interrupting my thoughts.

"Sure mom, be down in a minute."

I was feeling optimistic today; everything felt right. I had a large grin on my face as I got ready for the day.

********

I walk into our patio and of course there's my picture perfect family; mom and dad acting like they're still in love, my brother Daniel and his girlfriend Jane who on the other hand are actually in a real relationship, and our dog skittles to whom I gave the name after feeding him skittles when I found him out in the streets all alone. Breakfast is always like this when my dad comes home; awkward, tense, and unrealistic. They pretend to have the time of their lives; don't get me wrong I love my family I just get sick and tired of this pretend game acting like we're all happy campers; seriously I find it repulsive the way my mom and dad fake their interest for one another, the only real love here is my brother and his girlfriend who can't stop looking at each other and blowing kisses across the table, it's cute but I'm not a big fan of showing too much public affection.

Jane is a nice girl I have become very close to her in the past four years. She's very much in love with my brother and as long as he is happy then I'm content. It's kind of scary how much my brother loves her, he talks about her all day even when she's not around and it kind of sickens me because I know things about that girl that I just don't need to know. My love life on the other hand is a disaster. I have dated nothing but assholes that end up cheating on me after two weeks; I decided a month ago that I am not looking for a relationship anymore if it's meant to be I just have to give it time.

"Sweet heart are you going to join us." My father asks. I have got to stop spacing out.

"Yea dad, sorry I was just up in my little world like you always say."

"I can't believe my little girl is growing up so fast, seems like just yesterday you were taking your first steps." My father says emotionally.

"Well dad maybe that's because you haven't been here since she was like six." Daniel says in a much aggressive tone.