Chapter Four

~Kurama's POV~

Yusuke and Kuwabara appeared on my doorstep completely out of breath and looking panicked; Hiei was with them and looked mildly concerned which set my nerves on edge. Something was wrong.

"What is it, what happened?"

"He has, Kimi." Kuwabara gasped.

Why didn't she get a ride home with Dee? "Where?"

"We think in some abandoned warehouse." Yusuke said, "Come on, we need to hurry, I don't know how much time she has left."

This was all my fault, mother wasn't sick like she used to be, we didn't have to rush to the hospital for every little thing like we used to but I still got worried every time she felt the slightest bit ill. I'd never forgive myself if anything happened to that sweet girl. We bolted toward the warehouse as fast as we could. She had to be alright.

We reached the warehouse in record time though it felt like it took years. It was dark inside, my eyes adjusted quickly and I spotted a girl lying lifeless on the ground with blood pooling around her.

"KIMI!" I darted forward and dropped down beside the girl, but it wasn't Kimi, it was some other girl and she'd been dead for some time now.

"Is it her?" Kuwabara asked shakily.

"No." I shook my head and scanned the dark and dusty warehouse once more.

I heard a scream from upstairs. That was, Kimi! Hiei disappeared and we raced after him. We reached the top landing in time to see Hiei plunge his katana through the demon's chest but he disappeared with a smirk, he wasn't going to be defeated so easily. Kimi was lying unconscious on the ground with a deep wound in her abdomen and a wound on her head, probably what caused her to fall into unconsciousness.

"Kimi!" Yusuke and Kuwabara darted forward and knelt beside her.

"That's a lot of blood." Kuwabara whimpered.

I knelt beside her and pulled up her shirt to examine the wound, he'd stabbed her hastily because he knew he was going to be found out. This was all my fault. I put pressure on the wound in her abdomen and she started to stir with a groan of pain.

"Kimi, it's me, you're going to be okay." I breathed.

"Shuichi?" Her eyes fluttered open. "What happened?" She winced as she attempted to sit up.

I gently pushed her back down, "Don't move, you're injured, we're going to get you help." I swept her into my arms, and she blushed, still.

"I'm sorry." She said quietly looking as if she were going to slip from consciousness at any moment. She'd lost quite a bit of blood. The wound on her temple looked severe, as if her assailant had hit her across the face with the hilt of his blade in an attempt to knock her out.

"For what?" Yusuke asked incredulously as they all fell in step around us.

"I had to walk home by myself even after you warned me." Her voice was no more than a whisper. She sounded weak and feeble.

"No, I'm sorry; I should have made sure you had a way home." I apologized as guilt wormed through me.

"You were worried about your mother, it's okay." She smiled and rested her head against my shoulder as she lost consciousness once again.

"We should take her to Genkai." Yusuke suggested.

We arrived at Genkai's in record time and were relieved to find she was able to heal Kimi's wounds. She didn't ask questions, just worked silently while we all waited impatiently.

"This girl, she's not human." Genkai said quietly after a moment as her hands hovered over the unconscious girl.

"What?" Yusuke and Kuwabara gaped at her.

"It seems her demon powers have been sealed." She noted with a slight grimace. It must have been a crude sealing.

"So, she's a demon?" Yusuke pondered.

Kuwabara shrugged, "Doesn't make a difference to me, I'm still gonna marry her."

"I can speed up, or delay the process of her awakening." Genkai looked to everyone for a response.

"No, I think we should let it run its course, she's harmless." Yusuke said quietly.

"Very well." Genkai moved away from Kimi, "She'll be alright in a bit; she needs to get some rest. You can move her now, if you like."

I knelt beside her and swept some of her light brown hair out of her face, she was a demon, what kind of demon? And why had her powers been sealed? What was she doing here? I carried her back to her home, Nana was taking a nap on the sofa, and we all tip toed up the stairs and placed her in her bed.

"I think we should stay until she wakes up." Yusuke noted.

Hiei took up a seat on the window seat, Yusuke and Kuwabara went to sit on a small chaise lounge in front of a TV and looked through her collection of video games while I pulled the chair from her desk next to her bed and sat down beside her.

Yusuke and Kuwabara found some violent zombie killing video game and started shooting zombies rather obnoxiously. Kimi began to stir soon after and her beautiful blue green eyes fluttered open. She looked around confused for a moment and her eyes settled on me.

"What happened?"

"What do you remember?" I asked her softly.

"I ran into a man on the street and he offered to walk me home but I got a weird vibe from him and declined...then I felt really scared, he did something and I blacked out." She paused and struggled to remember something else and then she suddenly gasped and pulled up her shirt just above her abdomen, "I was stabbed." Her eyes widened for a moment as she looked at her perfectly intact skin, "It's gone."

"A friend of ours is a gifted psychic she healed you." I smiled.

"Psychic's exist?" She pondered in awe.

She didn't know anything about who she really was or her true lineage. It was going to be difficult for her when her demon powers awakened. What had happened to her?

I nodded, "Do you need anything, how are you feeling?"

"No, I'm alright, you should go look after your mother." She smiled, she was still very pale, her body still in shock from the injuries and the rapid healing process.

"Yeah, go on Kurama, we can take over." Kuwabara beamed.

"Kurama?" Kimi looked confused and Yusuke glared at Kuwabara.

"My nickname." I smiled at her.

"Oh."

"Shuichi is fine for school, but if you like you may call me Kurama any other time." She looked so tired.

She forced another smile, "Ok, stop in the kitchen before you go, in the smallest white canister there's an herbal tea mix that works wonders for the flu, take some with you, it's good with a bit of honey." She whispered. "I hope your mother starts feeling better."

"Thank you, Kimi." I smiled down at her, she was exhausted and possibly still in pain and still trying to help others. "Get some rest." I gave her hand a reassuring squeeze and went down to the kitchen.

Video- "I of the Storm" By Of Monsters and Men