Chapter 7 Survival

(Chapter 7) Survival

"What?! Werewolves?! Why didn't you tell me they were real?! And that they hunted vampires!" I yelled at Gregg.

"Hey! You're still new to this world! I was gonna tell you eventually! It didn't seem important at the time!" Gregg yelled back.

"Well it seems important now! What do we do?!" I questioned.

"We stay calm. And we try and stay alive." Gregg replied.

Gregg peers up at the moon.

"There's no full moon tonight so that means they won't be at full strength. Maybe half. And if that's the case they are probably with shapeshifters to make up for what they're lacking for the night. And any shapeshifters that are with them have likely taken on the form of wolves... Big... Wolves... They aren't the same as the werewolves but they are still very dangerous! In some ways they are even more dangerous..." Gregg explained.

"How could they be more dangerous?" I ask.

"They can change form at will and they aren't influenced by the moon. But in a way they could be less dangerous. They don't have the raw beastly stature and strength of a real werewolf. Thank God." Gregg explains again.

"Here, catch." Says Gregg as he throws me a dagger.

I catch it with ease and inspect the blade. Its about eight inches long. Two and a half inches wide and half an inch thick. And by the look of it, it's laced with silver.

"It's no more lethal to the shapeshifters than a normal dagger but it's very deadly to the real werewolves. It could save your life." Gregg stated.

At that moment a growl comes from

directly above us. Our heads shoot up to see a huge drooling wolf towering over us on the ledge above.

"Let's just go with the flow and take down as many as we can and keep moving!" Gregg yelled.

Gregg and I flew away from the wall and readied our blades. Our faces displayed a mix of fear and aggression.

The wolf starred us down and then let out a long and unique howl. We knew it was signaling the others and that they would arrive soon.

The beast lunged at us with unexpected speed! Gregg and I jumped away from the huge predator and prepared for a counter attack!

Gregg jumped into the air and landed on the beasts back, wrapping his arms around its neck! It's teeth snapping at Gregg repeatedly!

"Now kid!" Gregg yells as he lifts the shapeshifter into the air!

Doing as instructed I lunged at the beast and buried my new dagger deep into it's belly and forced it upward slicing it open!

It let out a horrendous yelp as I ripped the blade from it's chest!

Gregg released it as it squirmed in agony from the fatal blow and we watched as it fell to the ground and slowly reverted back to it human form.

The lifeless body of a teenage boy with short black hair lay before us.

"Don't let that shake you. It was him or us. We need to move, more will be on us in seconds!" Said Gregg.

We started running again but as soon as I got any speed more metallic objects rained down on me, already beginning to glow! Explosions surrounded me throwing me into a nearby wall! I could hear Gregg yell for me in the distance.

I began to pick myself up and look around. My vision was hazed and blurry. I took a step forward only to be tackled to the ground! The world spun as a lash of claws swung at me, I could barely hold it an arms length away as it snapped its teeth at me.

A lash of claws flew around as I struggled to keep the beast off me! Suddenly a hear a loud SNAP as it's body goes limp and falls to the ground next to me. Gregg was standing over me now and quickly helped me get up.

"Come on, What was that?! Get up! I know that I've taught you better than that at least!" Yells Gregg.

"I'm sorry! I'll do better." I yell back.

The werewolve's body disgustingly shakes and convulses as it slowly reverts to it's human form.

"That was freaky." I state.

"Pay attention. You'll die if you don't pay attention. Bites are lethal, to us and them. Use that to your advantage and at the same time be wary of it. If we survive this I'll teach you everything I know. More will be coming soon, there's no running away from this now. We have to fight, possibly to the death.

"Are you ready?" Asked Gregg.

I simply respond. "Yes."

At that moment a wolf and werewolf attack us from nowhere! The werewolf lunged at Gregg while I was left with the wolf. It jumped at me as it opened it's mouth preparing for a bite. I quickly spin and kick it mid air sending the beast hurtling into the ground. I rush to it's side while it was dazed and quickly finish it off with a flurry of stabs with my blade.

At the same time Gregg slices his opponents stomach, spilling it's innards onto the ground.

Both beasts revert to their human forms.

Several more hunters appear on the rooftops around us, getting closer with every moment that passed. They pause on the closest buildings and wait for their allies to gather with them.

"So it's come to this. I've been pushed this far. So be it." Gregg whispers.

"What are you talking about Gregg?" I ask.

Then with out hesitation Gregg pulls out a vile of purple liquid and quickly drinks it. The predators around us start snarling and howling angrily!

"Gregg! What's happening?!" I ask desperately.

Gregg collapses to the ground and twists and contorts his body, beginning to scream! He vomits blood all over the ground and himself lashing all about putting claw marks into the area around him. Suddenly he seems to calm down and is sitting on his knees panting heavily.

"Gregg? Are you alright?" I ask as I approach him.

"Gregg? What's wrong?" I ask again as I kneel beside him.

Suddenly Gregg lets out another scream and backhands me flinging me into a wall several yards away like I was nothing!

"Ow!! Gregg what was-" I stop talking and quietly stare at him.

His body was growing larger and larger by the second! Claws elongated from his hands and feet! His clothes tearing and ripping from his increasing size! Giant drool and blood drenched fangs sprang from his mouth! Large tattered wings exploded from his back and stretched out! He let out a violent shriek while turning to face me, blood gushing from his eyes, ears, nose and mouth!

"Gregg! What's happening to you?!" I scream.

He stares me and let's out another ear piercing scream and began to sprint towards me!