Part 11. The Vampire's Maid

"Good morning Elizabeth."

Ashley was sitting at the desk by his window although the curtains were mostly closed. Enough light was entering the room to make his hair shine gold and his eyes glint. The way he said my name made something rise in my chest which I tried to suppress. Joe's voice kept echoing in my head and served as a warning. 'He's not human'. But was he?

"Thank you for last night," I tried to say in an offhand manner but I couldn't stop the gratitude entering my voice.

Ashley turned his head to look at me for the first time. His mouth did not curve into a smile but his eyes portrayed that he was glad that he'd been there in time to save me. But through this gladness, his eyes were also tinged with the same touching sadness they'd had last night.

"You have to understand that vampires don't always think about the consequences of their actions. It's natural for them to kill without thinking."

"Are you trying to justify his actions?" I asked disbelievingly.

"No!" Ashley said quickly. "Isaac doesn't know you like I do. If he did he wouldn't have attacked you like that."

"Ashley, I think we both know that he would. Perhaps you wouldn't attack me but you're different to other vampires, aren't you?"

Ashley turned his back to me but I'd seen the look that had crossed his face before he'd hidden it. It had confirmed that he was different to other vampires. He breathed heavily, the muscles in his back contracting as he did so. Then, still without glancing in my direction, Ashley pushed the chair away from his desk and moved to sit on his bed. Only then did he look at me with shining jade eyes filled with emotion.

"Tell me about Elizabeth Sancruor, please." I whispered tentatively.

His reaction left me lost for words. I'd expected him to be furious at me or else hide what he was really thinking and tell me that no woman named Elizabeth Sancruor had ever lived in this house. Instead, a faint, strangled cry escaped his lips. Tears welled up in his striking eyes and when he blinked tears dropped down his flawless cheeks.

I couldn't move, my heart aching at the sight in front of me. I longed to take Ashley in my arms, to hold him until he couldn't cry anymore. Unable to just stand watching anymore, I slowly moved forward and gently sat next to him on the bed. I was still unsure how he would react if I extended my hand to touch him, so I kept my hands to myself. I hoped my close proximity would help, let him know he wasn't alone. It was better than just standing and watching him sob, but not by much.

Soon though, his sobs subsided and his wet eyes met mine. Once again I refrained from touching him and forced myself to focus my thoughts. Eventually I regained my composure enough to ask a question.

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have asked." I apologised.

"Don't apologise." Ashley replied firmly.

There was a minute's silence in which I wondered whether he was going to speak again. Both of our eyes were focused on the dark material of his bed. When Ashley spoke once more my eyes flickered to him, as if he'd given me permission to look.

"Elizabeth Sancruor was my mother."

I nodded, remembering the beautiful woman in the portrait with flowing blond hair and jade coloured eyes. I also remembered the pink tinge in her cheeks...

"But she was human." I stated.

"How do you even know that?" Ashley asked, vaguely impressed. "But yes, she was human."

"So you're..." I started.

"I'm half human."

"That's why you're so much nicer than your dad." I whispered. "That's why you only hunt once a month. That's why you're so much better-." I cut off my sentence, not wanting to tell him that I thought he was good looking.

Ashley's eyelids shut over his sparkling green eyes and he lay on the bed, his eyes still clenched shut as if he was reliving a painful memory. I bit my lip, wanting to help him but not knowing what thoughts were running through his head.

"I hate it," He said passionately, his eyes still closed.

"H-hate what?" I stuttered, confused.

"What I am! I KILL people, Elizabeth." He said as if it was obvious.

This time I couldn't stop my hand which seemed to reach out and grasp his shoulder of its own accord. His skin was warm beneath the fabric of his shirt. I wanted to comfort him, to help because my mind was screaming how wrong it was that he was upset.

"Ashley, that's not your fault. It's in your genes." I whispered, consolingly.

"Elizabeth, let me ask you something. If I attacked you now, like Isaac did, what would you do? I'm pretty sure you wouldn't just say 'hey, it's in your genes'."

"No, I wouldn't." I frowned. "But you're not going to attack me."

Ashley stared at me for a long moment, his eyes almost hostile. I tried not to give anything away in my expression and stared resolutely back at him.

"I killed a woman when I went hunting, Elizabeth. I hate myself for it. But no matter how guilty I feel, the fact remains that I did kill her. I'll probably kill someone else next month. I'm a monster."

"You're not a monster. You've just got different genes," I said lamely.

I lay down next to Ashley on the bed with my eyes clenched shut. I didn't want to look at Ashley because I knew that I was letting my feelings get in the way of my safety. I was going to escape from this place eventually but the minute I'd began to feel the slightest trace of fondness for Ashley that task suddenly became a lot harder. And becoming friendly with a half-vampire wasn't the best survival technique in the world. Even as I thought it I felt guilty. I knew that Ashley wouldn't hurt me.

"I'll go get you some breakfast," I murmured.

He made no reply, just continued to lie on the bed with his eyes closed and a pained look on his porcelain face. When I pushed myself off the bed and away from him, the room seemed to grow a little colder without his presence beside me.

..............................................................................

Comment please :D POSITIVE or NEGATIVE i want to hear it!!!! thank you xxx