~Chapter 3~

Lostface woke up alone, but the space beside her was still warm. Cloudtail had been there not long ago. She got up and stretched, wincing at the pain that emanated from her wound. Groggily, she padded out into the clearing. Cloudtail was sitting just outside the medicine den, deep in thought. "Hey," Lostface mewed, settling beside him. He nodded in greeting, but he was still lost in his mind. "Hello? Cloudtail? Wake up mouse-brain!" She purred affectionately. Startled, he shook his head and licked his chest fur. "Sorry! I was just thinking about battle moves," he explained. Lostface tilted her head, confused "But... You know them in and out? Why did you phase out like that?" Cloudtail sighed, "I can't keep anything from you, can I? It was meant to be a surprise. I'm thinking of how to adjust them to suit you so you can become a warri-" He was cut off by a torrent of licks as Lostface tackled him to the ground. She pinned him down and nuzzled into his shoulder. "I love you," she whispered into his ear. At first Cloudtail was startled, but after a few heartbeats he recovered and nuzzled back. "I love you too!"

"Um... We're being stared at..."Cloudtail whispered. Lostface rolled her eyes "You get used to it, trust me". "No, I mean Whitestorm is standing right there, staring at us. He wants to say something." Lostface flushed hot with embarrassment and rolled off Cloudtail. Sure enough, Whitestorm was standing there, and rather awkwardly at that. "Cloudtail. Sun-high patrol?" Cloudtail stared blankly for a moment. "Sun-high patrol! Fox dung, I forgot!" Lostface watched, amused, as he staggered to his paws. "I'll be back in a heartbeat," he promised as he walked away. A heartbeat too many Lostface thought, but she didn't say anything. Cinderpelt walked out from the shadows outside the medicine den. "I thought you two would never break it up! I need to check your eye," the medicine cat laughed. Lostface narrowed her eyes light-heartedly. "Shouldn't a medicine cat have better things to do than creepily watch her patient with their mate?" A playful glimmer appeared in Cinderpelt's eye. "So he's your mate? Officially?" Lostface flushed hot again and sighed, "I think of him as a mate, but I don't know if he feels the same. He said he loved me just then but... Can anybody truly love me? When I look like this?" A couple of tears hit the ground. Cinderpelt limped towards her and settled down quietly. "Can I tell you a secret?" Lostface flicked her ears in surprise.

"You have to promise not to tell any cat," Cinderpelt mewed solemnly. Lostface nodded, wondering what in Starclan the secret was. Medicine cats didn't have secrets, apart from secrets with Starclan that they couldn't share with ordinary warriors. So what could it be? Cinderpelt stared at the sky. "When I was an apprentice, Fireheart was my mentor. He was still a newly dubbed warrior then, so he wasn't really that much older than me." Lostface nodded - she had already known that much. "I had a little crush on him. No, not little. I was in love with Fireheart. But I didn't realise it at first." Disbelief made Lostface's jaw drop. "At first I thought it was just a friendly love. The normal connection between mentor and apprentice. But after the accident, when I was lying in the medicine den all day, I started to realise I was thinking about him a lot. And I realised I was worried he would have no chance of liking me since my leg was all messed up." Lostface purred sympathetically, she knew what it was like. Cinderpelt sighed. "And then I found out fancied Sandstorm," the medicine cat's claws dug into the ground, "I was so heartbroken. I was adamant it was because of my ugly leg, and not the fact that Sandstorm was closer in age, and I was training to be a medicine cat." Lostface sympathetically pushed her muzzle into Cinderpelt's shoulder. Cinderpelt blinked in gratitude, then carried on. "But he probably didn't even love me slightly anyway. He probably saw me as an apprentice, a friend." The dark grey she-cat sighed. "But Cloudtail loves you. He always has, even before the dog attack." When Lostface blinked in surprise, Cinderpelt let out a little laugh. "I could see it clearer than my paws in front of me." Lostface blushed and Cinderpelt purred. "Love is a strong thing. Your face won't make a difference. Now come on, I need to check that eye."

Lostface had so many burning questions about Cinderpelt's past. Her accident, her recovery, Fireheart... But Cinderpelt seemed to be completely absorbed in her work, darting around the medicine den faster than a squirrel... Well, a limping squirrel. After a final peer into her eye, Cinderpelt stepped back and smiled. "Good news! You can move into the warrior's den tonight!" Lostface blinked, "I what?" She gasped in shock. Cinderpelt nodded. "I've done as much as I can, and Cloudtail wants to start some special training with you." A squeal of excitement escaped Lostface as she bounded over to Cinderpelt and accidentally knocked her over. "Thank you thank you thank you!"