LBAWP | Chapter 4

#Wattys2018 Tip: You can help your favorite authors win the 2018 Watty Awards by going back and voting on previous chapters. Votes help stories get noticed, so every vote counts.

 Votes help stories get noticed, so every vote counts

 "I think this was all part of their plan, Logan. How else would the Rogues know where to find them. Obviously it was Saffron."

"She wouldn't do that," Logan immediately defends me. There isn't a sliver of doubt in his voice when he says, "Whatever is going on, she's not in on it. I know she's not."

"Saffron's not the innocent girl you think she is, Logan," POW laces his tone with false regret as he tries to turn Logan against me. "She's been lying to you this whole time, and I'm going to prove it."

"She wouldn't!" Logan cries and I want to throw my arms around him and never let go.

"Like she wouldn't lie about being an Omega?" POW asks. "You said so yourself, Logan. It was all an act... and if she can act that well, who knows what else she's lying about?"

As the words leave POW's lips, I'm hit with a wave of betrayal. I should never have told Logan about the Omega act. I thought I was safe here. I thought I could trust this Logan and POW and this pack. Now my best weapon—my surefire way of dealing with the Pissed Off Wolf—is gone. My vision blurs and the ringing in my ears almost makes me miss POW's next words.

"Saffron's here for a reason, and I'm going to figure out what that reason is... If the Rogues in the dungeon won't talk, Saffron will."

Rogues? Dungeon? I suddenly feel like I'm going to be sick. I've been through this enough times with Dad to know how things will play out. There are ways to make Wolves talk, painful, terrifying ways to make them confess to just about anything to make it stop. Except that when the interrogation's over, the real torture begins. I know from experience that confessing will only make things worse. Innocent or guilty doesn't matter. The only thing that does is keeping silent and surviving to see another day.

Images of POW interrogating me—strapping me to a chair, drawing a knife, and shouting at me to confess—flash before my eyes. I break into a cold sweat, and the only thing that keeps me from crying out are thoughts of Logan. He'd never let that happen to me, I'm sure of it.

I can hear Logan defending me to his Father—insisting that I'm innocent—but his words blur as my thoughts race. I feel like such an idiot for believing that POW was a good guy. For thinking that maybe, just maybe, he was all bark and no bite. Was it because he's married to Luna, who reminds me of my mother? Would she protect me? Or did POW already convince her I'm guilty, like he's trying to convince Logan?

From behind the door, I hear a chair scrape against the floor. My heart practically leaps out of my chest and I do the one thing I should have done already. I run.