Decisions, Decisions

“Why do we need a doctor?” Mira took a step back and looked Collin up and down warily.

“You need one.” His jaw tightened and he straightened to his full height. “We’ve never had to deal with something like this before.”

“This isn’t the first time I’ve been shot,” she whispered while her eyes flickered over to Joshua. “The bigger concern is his hand.  We have to get him to help.”

“Taking him to the Hunters is out of the question now.” Collin had argued with his brother over the phone, and Mira had tried not to listen in on the conversation. Sadly, she’d failed in her attempts, but she didn’t want to tell him she’d heard every word they had said to each other. “I know you heard what my brother and I said.” Her eyes widened and he chuckled. “You have advanced hearing. It’s kind of a known fact about shifters.”

“Oh, I… umm… tried not to listen, but…” Mira blushed—why was she blushing? She didn’t do anything wrong, and she hadn’t meant to overhear.

“I know, love.” Collin slipped his arms around her waist. “But we need to get going, and we are going to a doctor.”

The last thing she wanted to do was take two Hunters to the rogue camp, but she didn’t know of any other doctors she could trust. The biggest concern was whether or not anyone would treat poor Joshua. She didn’t need medical attention herself, but he did. This wasn’t her worst injury, and while her shoulder bone hurt, it was manageable. As for Joshua, Mira could probably order someone to treat his injuries, but that didn’t feel right to her.

“I have no idea where to go.” Mira rubbed the bridge of her nose. “There’s no good option.”

“You have to know someone, love.” Collin pulled her to his chest. She buried her head into it and inhaled his soothing scent.  “Please think on it. While you try to think I’m going to wake Joshua and get us ready to move camp.”

Mira groaned while watching him walk away. If he asked, she would deny it, but she couldn’t help appreciating the view. Granted, the view would be vastly improved if he took off his shirt. He probably wouldn’t ask why—okay, he would ask, but not press if she said to drop it—if she requested he gave her the shirt he was wearing. She shook her head. Now was not the time to get distracted.

The only option was to take them to the campsite, which was the last thing she wanted to do. Damnit. She groaned and let her head lull back.

“Hey, kid, we need to get moving.” She lifted her head and watched as Collin shook Joshua with one hand.

“Did you seriously just call me kid?” Joshua stretched and flinched as he sat up. “I’m older than she is for crying out loud and you make out with her. So if I’m a kid, what does that make you?”

“I’m basing it off maturity and life experience.” Collin stood and glowered down at Joshua. Never in her life would she have guessed she would have to play peacekeeper between two Hunters. For some reason, Joshua seemed to push Collin’s buttons. Probably had a bit to do with Joshua wanting to hurt her when they first met or maybe they were secretly related. Mira’s brother, Geoffrey could always get under her skin. It was a little freaky how well he could do it without trying. “So why don’t you stop bitching and be useful? You got shot in the hand. Mira got shot in the shoulder and she’s been babying you. Last I checked, that made you the kid in the group.”

“Do I need to separate you two?” Joshua’s face had darkened as he returned Collin’s glare and Mira figured it’d be safer to stop the argument. “‘Cause even with this shoulder, I can kick both your butts.”

Given how much Collin had changed, she doubted it was true for him anymore, but she didn’t need to go around saying that. She didn’t want to undermine her new found authority. Truth be told, she couldn’t give two damns about the authority, what she cared about was getting them to stop fighting.

“Yes, love.” Collin smiled at her and stooped to pick up a bag. “Have you figured out where we are going yet?”

“I think so, but I don’t like it.”Mira walked over to them and sucked in a breath to dull the ache in her shoulder as she leaned over to grab a bag.

A strong hand closed over hers. “I don’t think so, love.” Her eyes flickered up to Collin. “You aren’t carrying anything with your shoulder. Joshua.” Collin pivoted his upper body to look at Joshua. “You can still carry stuff since it’s just your hand that’s hurt.”

“How is that fair?” Mira groaned and crossed her arms—she flinched at the stress it put on her shoulder. She must be getting soft with all these extra emotions coursing through her body. It wasn’t necessarily a good thing either. “I can still carry things on my good shoulder.”

“I’m sure you can, but it’s going to hurt that shoulder.” Collin stroked her cheek and smiled at her. Ever since the incident with the other Hunters, he’d been incredibly sweet. She wasn’t going to assuage his guilt just yet. Not that she planned to keep it going for too long, but she wanted to enjoy it while she could. “I don’t want you getting hurt. Well, any more hurt.”

“How come I have to carry something?” Joshua pouted on the ground—Mira really couldn’t blame Collin for calling Joshua kid sometimes. “You shot my hand. You. Don’t I get some kind of special treatment?”

“Considering that I love her and I’m barely tolerating you.” Collin tapped his chin with his free hand. “I’m going to go with no.”

“Fine.” Joshua stood and crossed his arms. “But I’m only carrying a small bag. Did you grab my backpack when you got everything? Otherwise I am going to have to borrow clothes from  you.”

“Yes, I did, but I’m regretting it right about now.” Collin huffed and turned his attention back to Mira. “You can carry a small bag or two, will that make you feel better?”

“Yep.” She smiled, pulled away from him and reached for a bag. “Let’s get a move on.”

“So where are we going?” Collin hoisted his bag onto his shoulders.

“The campsite.” His eyes went wide before he nodded slowly.

“Is that safe?” He tightened the straps of his backpack and fidgeted with the loose ends.

“Nope, but if we want a doctor, it’s the only place to go.” If Joshua didn’t need a doctor, she would have attempted to convince him to change their plan.

“Okay then.” Collin took a deep breath. “We need to get going. Oh, and you’re going to have to lead the way, love.”