Chapter Six: Snips, Snails, and Other Such Tales

I hate the sounds of beeping objects; especially the ones designed to make sure that whatever the medical staff is pumping into your system to dull the pain, or remove it entirely, doesn't accidentally 'remove' your heartbeat... Apparently that's a bad thing.

And so I lay in bed, half-asleep while my Uncle, a man in his late 30's who usually wore sunglasses darker than the deepest pits of hell, called Eric White, chatted with the doctors about my most recent incident that had resulted in my temporary hospital stay. I'd only been there a few hours when he showed up- my mother's brother, for once taking off his sunglasses to glare at me with his dark green eyes.

Green eyes that in fact matched my mom's, but I'd inherited my dad's weird blue-grey ones instead. Mostly because I'd be some sort of Harry Potter rip-off if I hadn't.

Right now though, my ever so dearly beloved Uncle was speaking with the doctor currently in charge of making sure I didn't accidently permanantly injure myself again. The last time I'd been in urgent care, I'd torn the IV needle from my arm, and somewhat scarred the crook of my right elbow. A rather large scar, that one. It had been because I hadn't exactly been thinking, nor had I known what I'd been doing. I had just wanted it out of my arm...

But the details are irrevalent. All that matters is that whenever I now end up in urgent care, or any type of hospital really, my file probably reads, "handle with extreme precaution", or something like that.

"Kathryne, we're done here. Get ready to leave," my Uncle finally addressed me directly, breaking me out of my stupor. And by stupor, I mean thinking quietly to myself while pretending to be very asleep.

I peeped an eye open to stare at him with a slight glare, miffed at having my thoughts interrupted, "Eh, I was getting bored of this anyway," I sat up and extended my arm, waiting for the doctor to disconnect me from everything.

Man, I feel like a computer... 'Please eject before disconnecting.'

Not that it mattered. Within seconds I was free to move about and leave, with my hand and leg all cast up in plaster and ready to look incredibly freaking ridiculous. At least I got to putz around in a wheelchair instead of crutches. And it was an electric one. I don't usually scream out little squeals of embarassing joy, but when I do, it's not in front of my family members.

Nah, that would have to wait until another time- preferebly when my only likeable relative wasn't secretly shooting me death glares from beneath his frames.

Dressed in a suit-and-tie ensemble, Eric White was the picturesque image of the ideal single Lawyer, a bright pearly white and straight-toothed smile, a full head of hair, and a face that could probably resemble any younger man's precious modeling career. I could go on, but then again I really don't want to be discussing which adjective would describe my Uncle. Just describing him to you makes me feel like I might be suffering from a case of incest... eeeewww.

He motioned for me to follow him, looking pleasantly above this entire situation, as always. My Uncle was very aloof most of the time, sometimes to the point of being condescending. "The doctor seems to think that you injure yourself on purpose, Kathryne. He's recommending you for grief counseling," he stated dryly, as if the thought amused him.

Can't say I blame him. I found it funny too, "Oh goody, more therapy," I rolled my eyes, toying with the controls on my new mode of transportation. I'd never done to well with psychologists. I got too much of a kick out of messing with them. Not only that, but I'd had enough trouble getting my ADHD psychiatrist to return my calls, god only knows why. I didn't need another therapist prying into my head to figure out why I had a nasty habit of crashing down staircases. I already knew why.... Bloody things were out to get me, "Hey, you think I can install a hydrolics system on this thing? I could pimp my ride, so to speak," just kidding, but seriously, a hydrolic wheelchair?