Chapter 5 - Monsters vs. Monster

I left Rip in the restaurant with his jaw wide open and looking as white as a ghost. I couldn’t blame him. Melody had her claws in him long enough to make a man crumble into pieces. He was lucky to still be standing after her kiss. I’d seen stronger men turned into toddlers just by her touch.

As we walked away, I put my arm around her shoulders and whispered, “I think he’s in love. That was a cruel thing you did.”

There was no response. She just walked with a blank expression on her face, not even acknowledging me. “Hey, what’s wrong with you?” I asked, shaking her.

Kiara looked at me and just smiled, “I think the feeling is mutual. After we’re done here, I’m sure she’ll want some time alone with the boy. I mean, he was cute after all.”

“Did you notice anything weird about him, Key?” I asked. “I mean, it’s normal for Melody to attract a boy, but when you’re around, they always turn their attention to you. The boy barely looked at you, though.”

Melody threw my arm off of her and started walking faster, finally giving an indication that she was conscious. She spun around and smiled really wide, “Let’s kill all of these mother fuckers and get HIM. Then we can talk about how jealous my GORGEOUS sister is of me for once.”

She giggled with the maniacal tone that always gave me chills and charged straight into the gas station. It only took a few seconds before I heard bodies hitting the floor inside. She was always so quick to act, but she was efficient with her movements, not letting any of the guards call for help.

Once Kiara and I were inside, we saw that the gas station was no longer in use and completely empty aside from a desk and a bunch of fold up chairs. It seemed to only be serving only as a check in station for any guests.

Melody was over anxious as always as she stood in the doorway that separated the house from the back of the gas station. She held a blood soaked knife in each hand with a look on her face that would frighten any master. Eight guards lay dead at her feet, all stacked in a nice pile. As she entered, she must have cut the electricity because lights that had been lit earlier were no longer.

“Save some for me, Mellie. It’s not fair if you kill them all. It’s bad enough you have a good looking boy waiting for you.” Kiara was pouting and as always, she’d get her way.

Melody stepped aside and let her sister go first. Through the door were two small steps down with a turn to the left and a few more steps down. Quite an odd design, If I do say so.

The stairs emptied into a huge living room where Kiara announced her intentions to the waiting guards, “All of you assholes are going to die. I have no mercy, tonight.”

“See,” Melody said, holding back a laugh. “You’re jealous.”

Nine assault rifles pointed at Kiara, but she moved so fast that none of them even had time to pull the trigger. My old eyes weren’t what they used to be, but I watched her run clockwise around the room, cutting each guard’s throat. It was so unfair that I wondered if this was somehow a trap. It was just too easy.

There were three closed doors in the room and we each took one. No words needed to be spoken between us. We had done this so many times that it had become routine to us. I turned the doorknob of my door and pulled it open, throwing my body against the wall in case of an ambush. Nothing. The room was clear.

There were two monitors in the room on a small table showing surveillance video around the gas station. It seemed as if nobody had been paying attention to the security feed or else we would have had a tougher time with the guards inside.