Chapter 2 - Heart Break

I awoke to Melody screaming at me, “Get up! We have to get out of here!”

The smell of smoke filled my lungs as something heavy pressed down on my legs. “What the hell happened?” I asked, a little disoriented. I looked around and saw the entire house was on fire and a support beam had fallen on me.

“We can figure that out later, sis. Help me lift this beam off of you before the entire house collapses on us.”

I took a second and cleared my head before sitting up and pushing on the beam. Even with both of us, it was too heavy. To make matters worse, the fire was raging out of control, fueled by the old wooden house and made worse by the gasoline we poured all throughout the house.

“Get out of here,” I gasped, nearly choking on my words. “Find HIM for me. Please!”

Melody’s eyes lit up with rage and held-back tears. “I can’t leave you, Key. I’d rather die with you than live without you!”

She laid flat on her stomach, squeezing underneath the beam. “Help me lift it, you lazy coward!” she screamed. Pushing up with the beam on her back, it began to move just enough for me to pull my legs free.

“Great, now what?” I asked, struggling to breathe in the toxic air.

Both on our hands and knees to avoid the smoke, we began crawling toward the back of the house where we knew a back door would be present. It was the only part that we didn’t use gasoline. We hadn’t used the back door, so making sure it burned down wasn’t necessary...lucky for us.

The pain in my legs was ever present with each move, but we made it to the door. Just as we opened it, two things happened - neither of them good. First, the ceiling began to break apart, meaning that we only had seconds before it’d cave in on us. Second, bullets came at us like angry hornets, shredding the door and sending us back inside.

“Damn it! How did they know we were bringing him here?” Melody cried out, angry, but seemingly impressed with their underhandedness. “We took all of the precaution we usually do. Every track was covered. Nothing should have led them to this house.”

That’s when I realized what they had done. We’d been taking Luc’s partners and employees at such a high rate, they knew who else we’d target. “There was a tracker inside of that guy, Melody. They’ve probably made sure that everyone connected to Luc has a tracker on them by now.”

“Shit! How did we not see this coming?” she said, biting her lip. “You know what? Screw these mother fuckers! Try to mess with me and my sister? HUH!?? DAMN IT!!!”

I knew what she was doing and I could see no other choices. If we stayed in the house, we’d die. If we left the protection of the house, we’d die. “Let’s go out together,” I said, nodding my head.

Melody ripped the door open and together, we charged the dozen or so men that hid themselves behind expensive black SUV’s. Armed with only knives, bullets sprayed at us. Most of them missed, but pain filled both of my legs, my arms, my chest, and buzzed passed my ear. I’d been hit, but I wouldn’t look down. Adrenaline was flowing through me. I’d let that keep me going until I killed as many of Luc’s goons as possible.

Melody was in pain, too. I could hear grunts and yelps of pain along with the sound of bullets hitting bone. It only took a few seconds to reach the vehicles, but it felt like minutes. We jumped over the line of cars in one quick motion, cutting down each enemy one by one. When Melody slit the last of their throats, we looked around and noticed the assassins on the opposite side of the house coming to help.