Oh, It's a Baby?

***Annabeth***
To say I was pleased to say King Percy again was an understatement. Every fiber of my being tingled when I saw him again. I realized then and there that what I felt towards him was not just trivial affection, but a deep longing that tugged at my heart regardless of my wants. Like the tide sweeps towards the shore, I was drawn to the English monarch.
       After rescuing Princess Rachel, King Percy found out that Lord Octavian and his rebels had escaped. His spies told him that they had slipped away to mainland Europe and were heading towards the Pope, hoping to win his favor. Fat chance, I thought when I heard of that. My cousin is the Holy Roman Emperor; there is no way that the Pope-who is on very good terms with him-will support Lord Octavian.
       When King Percy arrived, I was waiting for him to dismount. He caught sight of me and fell out of his saddle. I ran towards him and helped him up. "Sire," I asked. "Are thou fine?"
       He got up and brushed the dust off of his tunic and cloak. "I'm conversing with a beautiful lady," he answered. "How can I not be alright?"
      I smiled, my heart dancing at his compliment. I caught sight of Princess Rachel, however, and my happiness was curdled by jealousy. She was wearing a long, green dress and even in the warm sun, her hair was brilliant like fire and her skin was milky pale. She dismounted and walked over to us. "Many thanks again, sire," she told King Percy.
       "A chivalrous lord protects the ladies of god court," he replied, inclining his head.
    A messenger came up to Princess Rachel and pulled her aside. My envy evaporated now that I held all of the king's attention. "Was thou injured?" I asked, barely stopping my voice from trembling.
     His smile was like a quick gulp of warm, honeyed mead. "Nothing serious," he reassured me.
      "Next time, I wish to go into battle," I whispered to myself.
    To my surprise, King Percy heard me. "Thou desires to battle like an Amazon?" he asked and I nodded.
      He scratched his back. "I underestimated you," he muttered.
       I laughed. "Everyone does, my lord," I said.
        Our conversation was interrupted by the Scottish princess, who was looking tired and worried suddenly. "King Percy," she said, curtsying to him. "I must go back to my country."
       "Thou no longer desires to stay at my court?" King Percy asked, his face ashen.
          "My mother has given birth to an heir," the princess replied.
      I felt my stomach flip. The possible marriage to Princess Rachel would likely never happen; with an heir to the Scottish throne, marrying her wouldn't garner Scotland. Princess Rachel curtsied to me. "Princess Annabeth," she said. "I wish the best for thou-a good marriage and a good reign."
      My cheeks felt like they had been in the forge all day. "Princess Rachel," I said. "Does thou wish to speak away from the ears of men?"
     She nodded and the king left. "I know thou wished to marry him," I told her.
     She shook her head. "Not anymore," she began. "Not after..."
      "Lord Octavian?" I asked and she nodded, wilting like a daylily on day two.
       "He didn't?" I asked.
        "He couldn't make me wed him, but he," she said and then trailed off. "My father will be furious. What good am I for a marriage now?"
     I wanted to throttle Lord Octavian.  "He doesn't deserve his title," I hissed and Princess Rachel's eyes looked up at me, misty and unfocused.
      "King Percy laid siege on the castle for two months and he managed to slip away," Princess Rachel said. "I'm scared to go home."
       "Why?" I asked.
      The princess's shoulders slumped. "My father never had time for me," she said. "I was just his pawn to perfect and polished and now..."
     She broke off and gestured to her belly. I stifled a gasp, but i couldn't ignore the shudder running down the Scottish princess's body. "I can never forget him now," she whispered, choking on the words like a starving man who had eaten a feast too fast.
      I squeezed her hand. Just then, my lady-in-waiting ran down, her hair flying behind her shoulders. She took in the sight of us two together and looked at my face expectantly. "Is it true?" she whispered.
      Princess Rachel nodded and Piper enveloped her into a warm embrace. "If I see Lord Octavian again," Piper vowed, "I will send him to the galleys!"
     "Thou does not hold that power!" I protested.
       "I'll have thou do it then," Piper responded.
        "I'd rather desire that thou throws a brick at his sinful face," Princess Rachel replied. "He lobbed quite a few at King Percy's men. Lord Jason actually passed out."
     Piper's head flew around to find him. "I'll see if he's alright," she told me and flew off like a dove.
         A man cane up with a fresh horse. "It's time, my lady," they told Princess Rachel.
        She nodded. "Thanks, Lord Nico," she said and mounted the brown stallion.
         I always wondered why Lord Nico chose to work in the stables. When he was younger, the horses scampered away from him like flies avoiding a swatting hand. After years of enticing them with treats, he finally managed to befriend s horse named Chirob and the other horses learned to accept him.
         Princess Rachel flicked the reins of her horse and waved at me, her figure becoming smaller as the horse traversed farther away. "Goodbye!" I called and I watched her figure until I could see it no more.
    I turned around to see Lord Nico gazing into the distance sadly. When King Percy arrived, he left, his shoulders slumped as though he had lost a joust to a mediocre knight. King Percy stood so close to me that I could hear his breathing and smell the tangy, salty smell of the sweat on his brow. I buried my sadness with a smile and reached out to take his hand. "Long live the king," I whispered and he didn't reply.
      We stood in silence for several hours, needing to say nothing to each other. I wondered what the future would hold and my heart swelled with some emotion that I could not name. We left as the sun's rays died and the stars came out.