My Flea

***Annabeth***
I was sick of England. I missed France and was extremely grateful that Piper was my lady-in-waiting. It was nice to have a face from back home. My father was the king of France and I had two younger half-brothers. One day, one of them would become king. My family was made up of royalty. My cousin, Magnus, was the Holy Roman Emperor.
I remembered visiting him when I was younger. I had loved the different food and the people. I had been able to perfect my German there. My father had me educated as a princess and I'm not lying when I say that I am fluent in French, English, German, Latin, Greek, and Spanish. My father used to say that my mind was as sharp as a needle. My mother used to say that I needed to pick up the needle and start weaving.
Piper entered my chambers, a smile on her face. "The king is hosting a feast tonight," she said.
"Je ne veux pas sortir," I said.
"Princess Annabeth," Piper said, her voice thickly accented. "They're making boiled goose eggs."
I perked up a bit. "I miss France," I said. "Why did my father send me here?"
Piper looked at me sympathetically and hugged me. "Thine father desires that you marry the king," she said, "or at least improve thine English."
"My English is already well," I said sharply. "Besides, I don't even know the king."
"But thou can get to know him," Piper said. "Thou has the chance. I can find thou a seat near him tonight."
I smiled. "Thanks, Piper," I said.
When it was time for dinner, Piper gave me a smile and walked behind me. I marveled at how kind she was to me in the midst of her own problems. Her mother, the Duchess Aphrodite, had had her out of wedlock with s handsome foreign merchant. Despite her noble blood, she feared that she would be unable to find a husband and couldn't inherit her mother's title.
       When we arrived at the dining hall, there was an empty seat across from King Percy. I took it and Piper sat beside me. Princess Rachel sat to the right of Percy and Lady Reyna sat to his left. Reyna looked like she was trying to hold everything together. I had heard rumors at court that her father, who was a knight, was mad.
        A blonde man sat beside Piper and her stomach growled like a hungry bear. "Vous avez faime?" the man asked Piper.
       "Yes, I'm hungry, sir," she replied in English.
           I smiled. So at least one courtier spoke French. It seemed that the king did not, however, because he looked puzzled. A servant came in with a huge platter and set it down. "J'aime les poissons," I said without thinking.
        "Poison?" King Percy said. "How do you know it's poisoned?"
       The blonde was laughing. "Poisson, King Percy," he said. "It's the French word for fish. The French princess loves fish."
      "Thou speaks English?" he asked.
         "Yes, sire," I said.
          As we began eating, he leaned in to whisper. "It is true that the French say 'my flea' to their beloved?" he asked.
       "Yes," I said.
         "Well, maybe I need Jason to tutor me in French," he joked.
          "I know French and Latin," Reyna said.
           "It's true, Lady Reyna has a skill for languages," Jason said.
        I narrowed my eyes. Couldn't he see how hurt she looked seeing him engaged in conversation with my lady-in-waiting? I stifled a snort. Why had God made men so blind? Lady Reyna caught my eye and nodded slightly, as if she knew what I was thinking. "Princess Annabeth knows Greek and Spanish also," Piper cut it. "Her father gave her a fine education."
        "He would have done better if he kept her out of the sun!" a skinny blonde man commented unkindly.
      I looked at my plate. It was true: I wasn't as pale as the other ladies at court and paleness was prized in both France and England. Across from me, Princess Rachel looked as pale as snow. Neither I nor Piper could ever hope to be that pale.
         A petite girl stood up, her blue dress contrasting nicely with her rich skin tone. "Surely, God cares more about their spirits than the color of their skin!" she said.
       "Of course thou would say that," Octavian sneered. "Thou are not even a legitimate child. Thine father coupled with a foreigner!"
         "Fermer la bouche!" Piper said.
       Surprisingly, the arrogant man stopped talking. "My sister is the daughter of an honorable knight," a pale man with dark hair said in a low, dangerous voice. " Thou art only an ambassador!"
"I'm from better stock than thou," Octavian sneered. "My uncle is a cardinal."
"Silence!" King Percy commanded and the present company quieted. "If I hear another word about how any of thou are disrespecting another person because of their birth, which none of choose, then thou will be punished!"
        The room was silent for several long moments. "Those are wise words indeed, King Percy," Princess Rachel said.
          King Percy smiled at her. I wasn't sure how to feel. He seemed nice, but I didn't know him. I couldn't be exactly jealous of the Scottish princess for garnering his attention, but Piper was right: I needed a husband. The only other option was to become a nun and I had no patience. I would probably go mad in three days.
      The conversation started up again, but slowly and the voices of courtiers were muted. Octavian looked positively furious as he stabbed at his baked fish. "I feel sorry for the poor woman who ends up marrying him," I told Piper as we walked back to my chambers.
     She nodded. "He opposes Princess Rachel wedding King Percy," she whispered.
     I stopped. "He likes her?" I said in surprise.
      Piper nodded. "She is friendly with the king, but it could be platonic," she said hopefully.
       I sighed. "Does it really matter, Piper?" I asked.
         "Yes, my Lady," she said softly. "Be glad that thou has the chance to wed."