Chapter One: Places

"It's so beautiful and peaceful....." Echoed a voice, there was a flame-colored she-kit sitting in a meadow of golden-shimmering flowers, a slight breeze tugged at the flowers and her fur, pulling them gently in one, occasionally, two or three directions. She sat silently with her eyes closed, enjoying the breeze and overall everything, she was at peace. Suddenly, something, or someone, crashed into her, making her fall forward with an "oof!" The meadow and rolling hills faded into a living room of the Twolegs that owned them. Her peace crumbled. "Move aside, runt!" Yowled a brown-and-white tom kit, the one who knocked her over, then came a second dappled she-kit, running and chasing after the tom kit. "Hey! You ruined my peace!" Complained the flame-colored she-kit as she sat back up and shook her pelt out, grumbled in irritation. The two older kits however, didn't seem to pay any attention to her no longer while they ran all over the room, chasing one another like squirrels. The flame kit pouted. "Hunter! Plum! Silk! Come and eat!" Their mother, Nutmeg, called for the kits. The only and oldest tom kit with the brown-and-white pelt and golden yellow eyes, Hunter, then the second oldest she-kit with the white pelt and brown ears, legs, and face with mesmerizing violet eyes, Plum, and lastly, the youngest kit and she-kit with the flame-colored coat and bright green eyes, Silk, all scurried to the kitchen room where there were bowls in the corner of the room where they were to eat. The kits were old enough to eat solid food rather than their mother's milk, they each had their own bowls with their names clearly labeled, not that they would be able to read it or anything, but that's how the Twolegs could distinguish whose bowl was whose, or at least it seemed like they could. Hunter and Plum immediately ran to their bowls and quickly began to devour their food, wolfing them down like nothing, although, Plum seemed to eat a little bit slower than Hunter. Nutmeg decided to go outside to enjoy the sun while her kits eat inside. Silk went to her food and began to eat, taking her time, no one disturbed her when she would eat, as no one would disturb the other two either, or their mother. But today was different. As Silk ate her food, she didn't even get halfway with eating when Hunter and Plum shoved her aside and now ate her food. Silk stumbled to her paws and let her fur bristle. "Hey, that's my food! You two already had your own! Let me eat mine in peace!" Silk hissed angrily, but like before, they paid no attention to her and only kept eating, but when she decided to throw her tiny claws at Hunter's hind leg, all she got was his hind leg kicking her away. Before she could get back to her paws, Hunter and Plum had scattered, Silk hissed again and shook out her fur then returned to her bowl, but all she came to was a clean, empty bowl. Silk flattened her ears against her head, her tail flicking back and forth. The small flame kit got up and made her way to the door in the living room that led to the backyard where Nutmeg had went, she waited there at the glass door, knowing it was there, and waited for her mother. Soon enough, Nutmeg came back in with the Twoleg that let her out, Silk went up to her. "Mama? Hunter and Plum ate my food!" Silk complained to Nutmeg who drew her ears forward. "They did what?" She asked, she hoped she didn't hear what she heard Silk say. "Hunter and Plum pushed me aside and ate my food!" Silk repeated herself, Nutmeg sighed. "Hunter! Plum! Come here!" She called for them, it didn't take them long before the two older kittens came to their mother, still chasing one another. "Because you stole and ate Silk's food without her or my permission, you two will sleep in the corner tonight." Nutmeg said, Hunter and Plum's eyes widened. "But we didn't—" Hunter spoke but Nutmeg hissed. "No buts! Just for talking back, you two will eat half of your food for dinner and give the rest to Silk, then you are to sleep in the corner right after, no playtime. You both know how small Silk is, she needs all the nutrients she can get to be big and strong, you two can wait." Hunter flattened his ears as Plum began to tear up at being punished and yelled at. "If I don't see you both give half of your food to Silk and you two asleep right after you eat, then there will be more consequences. Do I make myself clear?" Nutmeg threatened, she knew the limit of discipline, she treated Princess and Rusty like this, but that eventually made them more well-mannered in the future as they grew up. Silk couldn't help but smile a little in triumph that justice was served rightfully.

Later that night, Hunter and Plum did as they were told, giving half of their own food to Silk then going straight to bed in the corner right after. Nutmeg had been watching the entire time, watching them like a hawk. Silk was happy and gladly ate all of the food, it was a lot for her, but she had to eat enough to become big and strong, she didn't want to be small and scrawny for all of her life now. After she was done eating dinner, she curled up beside her mother in the warm, fluffy bed they would all usually sleep in. Silk slept peacefully that night with Nutmeg at her side, Hunter and Plum slept in the corner where they were told to sleep for the night.

(Art, Savage/Silk belongs to me)