Chapter XXVIII: More Trouble

"When might I expect you then?"
Whenever is least convenient for you, the demon replied.
-- Diana Wynne Jones, Dark Lord of Derkholm

Ghosts did not need sleep. But at some point during the night, Solvej fell into a sort of doze. She was vaguely aware of the sun rising, of the noises of the palace waking up. But she paid no attention to those noises until someone cleared their throat just behind her.

Her eyes snapped open and she sat up straight.

A palace guard shuffled awkwardly, looking at her as if he expected her to turn him into a frog. "Begging your pardon, miss, but you're wanted in the grand sitting room."

Solvej stood up with a yawn. "Who wants to see me?"

"Their Majesties, miss."

Oh. She should have realised the King and Queen would want to know what had happened last night.

~~~~

When she arrived at the grand sitting room, it was to find the King interrogating Hjalmar to within an inch of his life.

"But what happened after you threw the seeds down?" the King demanded at the top of his lungs.

Hjalmar winced and made a motion with his hands that suggested he wanted to cover his ears. "The seeds began to grow, sir."

"And?" the King barked. "What happened then?"

"They grew until they were fully grown, sir," Hjalmar said in a distinctly sarcastic tone. "And then Solvej discussed something with the mermaid queen while I tried to stay awake, and after that we flew back here."

The King made an exasperated noise half-way between a snort and a growl. "But did the spell work?"

"Of course it did," the Queen interrupted. "The trees would not have grown if it hadn't. Now sit down, Severin. Shouting and bellowing isn't going to get you answers more quickly."

"Good morning!" Solvej said, deciding the moment was right to announce her presence. "You wanted to see me?"

The King and Queen visibly started. Hjalmar gave her a look of almost pitiful relief. A harried-looking footman stationed near the door eyed her with suspicion. Considering the trouble certain magic users had caused the residents of the palace, the servants were inclined to be wary of anyone who had any abilities that were unusual. Some of the servants had accepted she was harmless -- to them, if not to the Magician or the parasite -- and no longer minded her presence. Others remained wary. Solvej didn't particularly care what they thought of her, as long as they didn't start shouting "Burn the witch!" or anything of that sort.

She smiled politely at everyone in the room as she stepped over the threshold, and bowed slightly to the King and Queen.

"Good morning," Queen Maibrit said, sitting up straighter in her chair and folding her hands in her lap. "We have a few questions to ask you."

"About the spell," King Severin interrupted. His wife gave him an exasperated look. He bulldozed on regardless. "How do we know this spell of yours really did work? Will the Magician be able to find any loophole?"

Solvej put her hand in her pocket and produced an apple she had picked from one of the trees. "This is proof the spell really did work. It grew, in the space of about ten minutes, on a tree planted at the bottom of the ocean. And if the Magician tries to find a loophole, he can just go out to the place where we planted them, and he'll see for himself."

The King heaved a sigh of relief. "Now, how do we find the bastard?"

"Severin!" Queen Maibrit exclaimed in a shocked tone. "You forget yourself!"