Chapter XXV: The Third Challenge

A month went by quickly. It didn't want to hang around. -- Terry Pratchett, Moving Pictures

"Are you all right?" Hjalmar dared to ask when Solvej stopped for breath.

She laughed, a high, sharp laugh that sent chills down his spine. "All right? Didn't you hear what she just said?"

The only thing that came to mind was the parasite agreeing to give them a month. Luckily, the Queen was quicker on the uptake.

"You can't do it in a month?" she asked sharply.

Solvej laughed again. It was the sort of laugh most people would expect to hear from an old hag stooped over a cauldron. Hjalmar began to feel very worried about her sanity. Was she having a nervous breakdown? Could ghosts have nervous breakdowns?

"No, I can't do it in a month. I don't know if I can do it at all."

Over the course of their friendship, Solvej had said many things that left Hjalmar stunned. This overshadowed them all.

"What?" three voices yelled at once.

Solvej took a deep breath. She seemed calmer now. "This is the Magician's doing, no doubt about it."

"Well, yes, we all know that," the King said dryly.

"No, I mean--" Solvej sat down and buried her face in her hands. "The Magician isn't taking any chances this time. He's set me a task that could, perhaps, be done in five years or so... if I was very lucky, and if the merfolk and other sea-dwellers were in an unusually accommodating mood. I have only a month to do it. Someone, anyone, please think of a solution."

Yet another uncomfortable silence fell. Really, this room had been filled with so many awkward silences in the last hour or so that they were becoming more normal than non-awkward silences.

At last Hjalmar dared to speak up. "Merfolk? They exist?"

Solvej gave him a frigid look that let him know exactly what she thought of his priorities. "That's what you're thinking about?"

"I've never heard of merfolk before!" Hjalmar protested. "And I don't see why you mentioned them at all."

"Because it would be impossible to even attempt to solve this challenge without their help. Or at least their leaving us alone and not interfering."

"How do we get their help?" the Queen asked.

Solvej looked at her as if she'd asked, "Why don't we fly to the Moon?" Before the ghost could say anything, the King spoke up too.

"Yes, how?"

Hjalmar looked from Solvej to the King and Queen. Then he shrugged and added his tuppence worth. "If it's impossible to do this without their help, the sensible thing is to try to get their help, isn't it?"

Solvej spluttered. He had never seen her so utterly taken aback before. Then the defeated look that had crept into her eyes slowly disappeared. She nodded once, as if she'd reached a decision and would stick to it no matter what happened.

"Good idea," she said. "In fact, it's an excellent idea. The Magician hasn't won yet!"

~~~~

Enlisting the help of the merfolk was easier said than done. Hjalmar didn't know why he was surprised. Was anything in this life ever going to be easy?

"We have to do what?"

Solvej had the audacity to look surprised at his shock. "Well, surely you didn't expect the merfolk to come to us? We must go to them."