[ 6 ] So not how I had pictured my swagger walk

➴     ➵      ➴      ➵     ➴     ➵

•  C H A P T E R   S I X •

Two years ago

The rays of the sun gleamed through the fading clouds of the sky. It was the perfect day to get tanned. The cool summer breeze made me feel at ease. As I sat alone on the bleachers, I was solely engrossed on the book in my possession. I flipped the page as I felt the rays of the sun hit my skin.

Even though the book contained many erotic scenes, I was completely hooked and addicted with the whole storyline. The author had the gift of being able to describe the attraction between the two main characters.

Just when I was getting to the good part of the story, a deep voice interrupted my lecture. "I didn't know that you had a strong fetish for erotic romance novels."

I tipped my head downwards to acknowledge Dean who was throwing me a smirk. I watched him climb his way up the staircase to sit beside me on the bench.

I instantly blushed with the feeling of being caught red-handed. "This novel is an exception."

Dean casually slung his arm around my shoulders and pulled a heart warming smile. "I knew you always had a naughty side."

By this time, I was pretty sure my cheeks were as red as a tomato and the fireflies erupted in my stomach. "No I don't, shut up."

I was amazed at how well he was always treating me. He had always managed to uplift my mood and put a smile on my face. Before we met, I used to think he was a heartless douche who enjoyed toying with girl's emotions. But that changed ever since we had started dating obviously.

Dean threw me a playful smirk and was about to say something but was suddenly interrupted by a vibrating sound. He quickly stuffed his hand into his left pocket to grab his cell phone.

"What is it?" He asked after pressing the device on his ear. I furrowed my eyebrows as I observed that his voice had immediately turned cold.

"—d-don't worry I have it all under control."

"—y-yeah everything is set for tomorrow." And with that, he hung up the phone.

Okay, something was definitely going on. One minute he was acting all playful and the next his voice was as cold as ice. One thing was for sure, I was going to get to the bottom of this.

"Who was that?"

For a second, I noticed his shoulders immediately tense before he blew out a long breath as if he was holding it for more than sixty seconds. "Nothing baby, just my buddy Luke being annoying as always."

I threw him a dumbfound expression. "Well, from where I'm sitting, it definitely sounded like he was ordering you around."

Dean shook his head furiously.

"Just drop it Emery." His voice was tight.

I rolled my eyes.

What the hell was he hiding?

"By the way I hope you're still coming to Noel's party tomorrow night."

I reluctantly decided to drop the subject for now, but was determined to bring it up again later.

"I don't know Dean," I said rather furiously. "You know you're making me miss a brand new episode of Breaking Bad?"

"Who cares Em," he yelled angrily as he removed his arm from my shoulders. "I mean, you'd rather miss the opportunity to go to a party with your boyfriend on a Friday night just so you could watch a freaking episode of Breaking Bad?"