[ 11 ] One big soap opera coming to life

➴     ➵     ➴     ➵     ➴     ➵ 

• C H A P T E R   E L E V E N •

People often claim that time seems to slow down in life-threatening situations such as, cliff diving or speed skiing. But in this case, time seems to drag on as we're both trying to regulate our breathing. The surge of adrenaline leaves my heart to pound uncontrollably by the second, as we're both engaged in an intense staring contest.

All I can think about is the probabilities of what could've happened had we not gotten interrupted.

I can see the fear in Dean's eyes as his gaze instantly drifts from mine to something else.

    "So that's what you meant when you said that you needed some air." The familiar voice from behind resonates across the hall.

By this time I'm pretty sure my brain has lost it's ability to function.

It can't be who I think it is.

    "Amanda. . ." Dean's voice comes out in a dangerously low tone as he slowly ushers towards the opposite direction.

I whirl around only to discover Amanda standing at the far end of the hallway. Her despondent expression adds more fuel to my guilty conscience. For a moment, she appears to be in deep thought before a wrathful look overtakes her expression.

She doesn't wait for Dean to speak before leaving our presence and storming off towards the spiral staircase. Watching her walk away, completely gives me the urge to run after her and assure her that nothing is going on between us. But as I stand statue-still, I find myself unable to move an inch much less gain the courage to face her.

I can't even begin to process what just happened and to make the situation worse, I can't believe Amanda caught us in a compromising position.

It's all a big soap-opera just coming to life.

Like an addiction, I find myself glancing towards Dean's direction only to find him staring back at me. I can feel my insides collapse under his heavy gaze as he stands straight with his expression changing to cold.

The air of the hallway is suffocating and if I don't leave now, God knows that I won't be able to control what comes out of my mouth.

Squaring my shoulders, I prepare myself to find my friends and leave this party as soon as possible.

    "This was a mistake," he says ever so softly.

Instead of ignoring him, I pretend to look confused.

    "What was a mistake?"

He clinches his jaw most likely to keep himself from blowing up by my lack of knowledge.

    "So it's like that uh?"

    "I don't know what you're talking about so if you'll excuse me."

Before he can say anything else, I take a few steps forward before heading towards the stairs.