Six

We had all piled into Damian's car to head into town for dinner. Sarah gave him directions to the place she had seen and we made it in less than fifteen minutes. It was a small restaurant with a red sign that read Macy's Bar and Grill. It seemed normal enough until I saw a smaller sign on the door that read "Karaoke every Friday night!" And guess what day today was. I gave Sarah a pointed look. She gracefully avoided my gaze and pulled David alongside her stepping into the restaurant. I sighed hanging my head.

"After you," Damian said, holding the door open for me.

When we stepped through the doors I saw that there were a few tables set up in front of a small stage. There were a few people sitting at the bar to the right but the majority of customers were seated in front of the stage. A waitress had seated us at one of the tables that had a good view of the stage. When we walked in, a middle aged woman was already up there singing a Katy Perry song. There was a paper on the table that had a line-up of who was singing tonight. I scanned the list of names and stiffened when I came to the fourth name. Kim Brady. I slowly looked up at Sarah who widened her eyes innocently, "Surprise!" she said grinning.

"Sarah," I said calmly, "What did you do?"

She shrugged, "I just happened to pass by when they were taking names for people to sing."

"And you didn't think to ask me?" I breathed out in disbelief. I could see the boys looking at the pair of us clearly confused.

"What's the big deal?" she asked "Singing was such a big part of your life! I almost thought you were going to get a record deal. But you surprised us all and said you were going to be a vet. You used to love to sing."

"Yeah. Used to." I said getting up from the table heading for the door. I heard Sarah calling after me but I ignored her. The minute I stepped into the fresh air I breathed in deeply. I noticed a bench right in front of the restaurant and sat down with a sigh. I leaned my head against the brick wall. My heart was hammering in my chest feeling like it was going to explode. I could tell that my face was flushed because it was warm. I couldn't be too mad at Sarah for signing me up. After all she didn't know the real reason why I stopped singing.

I heard the chime of the restaurant door opening and expected to see either Damian or Sarah but saw David instead. I was relieved that he was the one who came to check on me.

He walked over to me with his hands tucked in his pockets and a small smile on his face, "She is a wonder, that woman of mine." I scoffed and shook my head sighing. David sat down next to me and crossed his arms looking at some people as they passed by.

We were quiet for a few moments before I finally spoke, "It's not entirely her fault."

David unfolded his arms and clasped his hands together, "It's been seven years, Kim. You just need to forget about Sam."

I closed my eyes putting my head in my hands, "Time doesn't make it okay."

*Seven years ago...*

"Sam! Quit that!" I squealed as he pointed the hose at me dousing me with water, "We're supposed to be washing the car not me!"

Sam laughed, pointing the hose back towards the car, "Ugh why are you such a jerk?" I asked looking down at my wet t-shirt and jeans.

"Aw, come on babe. You know this by now. It's what I do," he said laughing. I hated it when he would say that every time he messed around with me. After about a minute he pointed the hose back at me. I dropped my sponge and started to run away towards the back yard, "Worst boyfriend ever!" I called over my shoulder.