Five

Damian's POV:

When Kim told me that her contractor and crew weren't able to build the clinic, I could tell that it really upset her even though she tried to put on a brave face in front of me. I admired her strength, but felt the need to do something so I could see her smiling face again. I lay awake in bed, thinking of what I could do to make things right again. It wasn't until a few minutes later that it finally dawned on me to call up Daryl. I sat up in bed and scrambled for my phone. Glancing at the clock I noticed that it was three in the morning and hesitated before calling him.

The phone rang four times before he finally picked up, "Someone better be dead" he barked.

"It's me," I muttered into the receiver.

"You bet your ass it's you. I'm gonna kill you for waking me up," he threatened.

"Yeah, yeah I gathered that," I pinched the bridge of my nose, already feeling a stress headache coming on.

"Jesus man. Do you realize what time it is?" he groaned.

"I know, I know," I said quickly, "Listen. I need a favor."

"Unless you're in jail I'm sure it can wait until morning. Or if you are in jail maybe I should just leave you there until morning as payback for waking me up at this ungodly hour." he said gradually becoming more awake.

"Will you listen please? See there's this girl--" I began before he cut me off again.

"Is she for me or for you?" he asked a little more alert.

I rolled my eyes and decided to just tell him the truth so I could finish our conversation and go to sleep, "Me."

The line was silent for a moment, "Goodnight." Daryl said about to hang up.

"Wait I said listen! Look, here's the situation," I proceeded to tell him the story that Kim told me earlier. He stayed silent as I explained.

"So can you please come here tomorrow?" I finished. Daryl was quiet for a moment and I worried that he might have fallen asleep halfway through the story.

I heard him sigh and mutter something about always being the "wingman."

"Fine," he finally said after a long while, "anything to get someone else laid. But you owe me. Big time buddy boy." Then the phone went dead.

I tossed my phone onto the table and made a mental note to find him a girlfriend.

Kim's POV:

Daryl's team came to the house the next day. We discussed the plans for the clinic for about an hour in addition to going over the budget. Damian was present at the meeting and provided me with information on the land so I could better discuss my vision for the project. Every so often I would look up from the plans and see that Damian was staring at me and smiling. I couldn't help but return the smile and duck my head down. Daryl had noticed at one point and smirked at me. After the meeting with the crew was over, I walked Daryl back to his truck he turned to me with the same look on his face.

"So what's the story with you and Mr. Suave?" he grinned.

"D-Damian?" I stammered, "Nothing. I mean I hardly know him."

Daryl raised an eyebrow, "No use acting with me, sweetheart. The way you two were carrying on I almost thought we would have to change the plans from a clinic to a honeymoon suite."

I opened my mouth to tell him off when Damian came up behind me, "Daryl you forgot your keys."

"Thanks man," he said taking them from Damian and pocketing them, "Well I best be off. People to see, places to build."

He stepped into the car then rolled down the window, "Later gorgeous!" he called out to me with a wink. I blushed furiously and Damian stiffened, narrowing his eyes at Daryl.

When Daryl drove off, Damian turned to me still looking a bit perturbed, "What did he say to you?"

"What do you mean?" I asked, though I damn well knew what he meant.

"Well I'd reckon you looked angrier than a bee-stung stallion," he said chuckling.

I giggled, "He was just messing around. No big deal." I started to walk back to the house hoping he would drop the subject. Damian followed me into the house and we encountered Sarah and David in the living room. Sarah struggled to stand up from the couch holding her belly. David made a move to help her but she waved him away. She finally stood up then made her way over to us.

"Ready to go?" she asked me.

"Go? Go where?" I asked.

"To dinner, silly." Sarah said poking my arm, "We discussed this yesterday? Remember?"

"No...?" I drawled, "I don't recall this discussion."

Sarah have me an exasperated look that said I was clearly not catching on to something.

"Worry about the details later then," she sighed before turning to Damian, "You of course are invited, Damian. After all, David and I are going back home tomorrow and we should at least have a farewell meal."

Damian looked from Sarah, to me, to David. I saw David shrug his shoulders.

"I'd love to," he smiled warmly making my heart flutter, "Where were you thinking of going?"

David walked over to where Sarah was and slung an arm over her shoulder, "Well, I saw this barbeque place on our way here--ow!" he complained as Sarah stepped on his foot, "Jesus woman."

She ignored him, "Actually I know of a place that's right in town." There was a twinkle in her eye as she said this.

A/N Ooooh cliff hanger! Where do you think they're going? :) Thanks for reading! Be sure to check out my pinterest and tumblr for updates! Question of the day: have you ever had someone set on setting you up on a date? Laters! xoxo