Chapter 17

Chapter 17

Jai saw the raven fly to their camp as he lounged in the grassy fields next to the newly finished village.

The most skilled sorcerer was placing protective enchantments on the stone buildings so something like what happened before wouldn't again. Even the dragons had their own quarters. They'd finished everything with three weeks to spare and didn't know if they were going to take the long way back to the city or hang around the village until they had originally planned to leave.

Jai wished it to be the former...because he wanted to see just where that Escarrali princess and her oath-sworn Fae warrior had placed themselves within Dalcaine society.

When he saw that raven, he knew it was from Ayveri. Standing and brushing off the grass from his pants and pulling on his tunic, Jai started for the tent they'd set up as a mobile command.

Camilla and Soren were looking over the message delivered, though there was another addressed to him sitting on the wooden table.

"Anything interesting?" he asked, stepping up to Camilla's other side.

"We're being called back to Ayveri early," she said, handing him over the message from his father. "Your father said he wants a private word with you once we're there as well."

Indeed, that was what the message said. It was short and didn't say much else.

"And this one is to you from Destan," Soren said, handing him the other folded piece of parchment. "Looks like he's missing his older brother. He never used to write to you before."

Jai opened the message from his brother, reading over what he'd written and finding it strange it was addressed to him. He hadn't exactly left on the best terms with Destan.

But he wanted him to know he'd met a female, one who was extraordinary with healing magic. She'd healed a pixie Laurel had brought back to the palace after their trip to Aarden. And Thia Branvon, of all people, when her ships were indeed attacked by Blackloch pirates.

Now, the king and queen had made her an official palace healer and Destan had hired her brother to be his personal guardsman.

Destan admitted this female could be the one he'd been waiting for all his life.

And Jai knew exactly who she and her brother were.

Mother above, Lyv and Gideon worked fast.

Jai silently handed over the letter to Camilla and she and Soren read it over quickly.

"Your brother has found a female he wants more than just a quick rut with? That's surprising," Soren said, looking up at him.

But it was Camilla who knew exactly who they were. She said what he was thinking.

"They work fast."

Soren was confused. "They?"

"The female is Princess Alyvia of Escarral...and her 'brother' is Gideon."

Soren's confusion dropped to suspicion and finally disbelief. "You cannot be serious."

"Oh, I am. She's the only one with healing magic powerful enough to do what he described. Practically bringing Thia Branvon back from the dead? That is definitely her."

Camilla shook her head. "She's gotten herself a position at the palace...and has Destan seemingly wrapped around her finger. Maybe instead of going after you, she switched her sights to him. You know, because she wants you dead. And if you are, that technically makes Destan the crown prince."