- four

MELANIE HUMMED TO HERSELF as she slid onto the bench beside Angelia for dinner. "What's got you so chirpy this evening Miss Hallows?" Angelia questioned.

"Me? Oh nothing." Melanie smiled. "I was thinking, can we go for a picnic tomorrow?" She asked, pouring herself a glass of orange juice.

"Yeah if you want." Angelia mumbled in between stuffing pieces of bacon into her mouth. Melanie huffed in amusement and opened her mouth to comment on her friends stunning table manners when an owl swooped down before her and dropped a black envelope on her empty plate, the Hallows' seal stamped upon it. The entire Slytherin table fell silent as their eyes landed on the envelope - it was from Drusilla and Malcolm Hallows, two of the most notorious Slytherins to have ever graduated. They were richer than the Malfoys, and rumoured to have been the Dark Lord's right hand people during his time - but it had never been confirmed.

Death Eaters or not, the Hallows' were dangerous people and hardly the most nurturing parents. "Melanie." Angelia whispered. "You don't have to open it."

Melanie felt sick, and everything around her faded away except for that envelope. "I have to go." She grumbled, snatching the envelope and running out of the Great Hall. Cedric's eyes followed the onyx haired girl as she leapt from her chair and bounded out of the Hall. He nudged Charlie who sat to the right of him and gestured his head into the direction of Melanie.

"Blimey I'm not surprised she's running, I would be too if I had her parents." Charlie shuddered before continuing to scoff down the hefty slice of meat pie he had on his plate. "Why?" Cedric pried further. He didn't know much about the Hallows family, just that they were rich and well known. Sighing, Charlie swallowed yet another mouthful and put his fork down. "Well rumour has it Drusilla and Malcolm were the highest ranking Death Eaters back when You-Know-Who was in power." 

"But-" Sam drawled, waving his knife in the air towards Charlie. "- that was never proven now was it? No word of the Hallows' having the dark mark or nothing. Absolutely diddly squat." Once finished speaking, Sam returned to his meal while Charlie just rolled his eyes at the boy and turned his own attention back to Cedric. "He's right." He began, referring to Sam's prior statement. "It never was proven. But I hardly thing every single sighting of the Hallow's family hanging around with the Malfoy's or the LeStrange's was hardly just coincidence. And, rumour has it the only reason the Hallow's were never caught was because they fled to France for a few years until the dust settled."

"Right." Cedric said slowly, unsure of how to respond, or what even to thing of the smiley and bubbly girl that so often held his attention these days. "I suppose we will never know." He chuckled, in an attempt to lighten the mood. But all he could thing of was the panic that seemed to have held Melanie as she fled from the room only moments before.

--

Melanie swallowed the bile in her throat as she slid down the bathroom wall, the cold tiles grounding her slightly. Her hands shook violently as she attempted to break her parents seal, and removed the damned letter from the envelope. She had been dreading the arrival of this letter ever since she had replied to Meliorn the week before. She was used to her brothers writing being soft and so full of the love their parents had never shown them. But that letter felt like he had written it at gun point. 

'Melanie. Hope you are well. Big plans are to come this year. Study hard and listen to Mother and Father. 

Kind regards, Meliorn Hallows '