Chapter five:

Chapter five, at the Harley Carter’s house:

     Harley walked through the door of her rather old home, carrying a load of groceries. “Ben sweetie, I’m home.” She yelled walking into her small kitchen and placing her luggage on the counter.

     “Mom, the roof is leaking again!” Her son Ben called from his room upstairs. Harley sighed receiving his message concerning the roof. Suddenly a drop of water dripped on her head.

     “I know.” She frowned and began searching for the mail. “Ben, did you pick up the mail today?” She asked going through some old mail from last week that lied on the counter, but none of the new mail was lying with it.

     “Did you look on the table?” Ben rolled his eyes at his mother’s helplessness. Harley looked to the kitchen table and that’s where she spotted the mail.

     “Thank you, sweetie!” She hollered causing her son huff at the childish names she called him.

     Harley grabbed the mail and then began to flip and speed read though it; the mail was mostly bills and unimportant newsletters. Her eyes began to squint a little after reading over a few words; she tried rubbing them but, it didn’t seem to have helped much.  “I have got to pay the electric bill.” She mumbled concerned reading the letter, it was the second she had gotten for not paying the electric bill. Another heavy sigh escaped her as she flipped through more bills and notices.

“Oh no…” She whimpered. One bill stood out from all the others, the house payment, one that seemed she received in the mail faster every month.

     Yes, the floors creaked and roof leaked, but she still has to pay for it, well, rent it. After four years of living in the same house and being faithful to rent payments— the owner still wouldn’t let her buy the house instead of rent it. “Lord, if Christy won’t let me buy the house after I ask her one last time, could you please help us find another home?” She prayed, hoping God was listening. Paying for all those bills were starting to get really rough, money was tight, which was causing Harley to pack more stress around.

     Sometimes Harley wondered if she and Ben were going make it.

     Suddenly, Harley heard someone knocking on the door, breaking her consistent thoughts and prayers.

     Harley sighed and nearly growled once observing the familiar man in front of her after she opened the door. “What do you want?” She hissed, glaring at the man with her cold welcome.

     “It’s Saturday, I’m here to pick up Ben.” The man replied, Harley crossed her arms and blocked the doorway so he couldn’t get in just yet.

     “He has a ton of homework to finish; you kind of caught him at a bad time.” Harley explained, continuing her evil glare.

     “C’mon, Harley…at least let me see him.”

     “Go home to one of your girlfriends, Andrew.” She replied as she began to close the door, but he stopped her by counter pushing on it.

     “He’s my son too.” But really he wasn’t.Harley was pregnant with Ben when she and Andrew met seventeen years ago.

     The two were in the middle of an ugly divorce, and so far Andrew had ended up with everything except for Ben. “He isn’t your son.”

     “Dad?”  Ben inquired, coming around the corner finding his arguing parents.

     “Hey, kiddo. How’s my boy doing?” Andrew exclaimed happily as he entered the house.

     “Good I guess. I miss you, dad.” Replied Ben, dropping his eyes slightly.