Chapter one:

Chapter one:

Present:

     Days on top of days, I'd see the darker side of Hell. The days weren't ever really different, they all seemed to blend together, and everything was simply put in one word, bland. That’s prison. Cruel and some might say cold, I, Jack Melcom, am known as a heartless murderer. They believe I killed my daughter and wife for some crazy reason, something I would never do.  Yes, maybe I seemed a little…“mental” at the time they died, but I was still dealing with the fact my parents were murdered, even though it had happened only a few years before that.

      I was shot in the forehead the same day time parents were killed, by none other than, Jackson Perry, my stepfather, who raised me as a child.

     Crazy isn’t it? The man that raised you, your only father figure till your real dad came around, ends up shooting your brains out. The flipside was, I forgot, permanent amnesia caused by the bullet. I felt like I only knew my mother half my life, I didn’t even remember my real father, and for the first time I had a best friend…I forgot him too. The doctors said I lost five years of my life, permanently.

     Sometimes I’d get fragments, very brief fragments; all I really could remember was getting shot, that one, short, unchangeable moment.

     Though, sometimes I felt like there was more I was forgetting than just my parents and best friend…maybe there was someone else, maybe there was something I was missing, maybe, someone or something very important. Hopefully, it didn’t involve death.

     As if my parents and memory weren’t enough, I lost my wife and daughter, the two most important people in my life, well, two of the three most important people in my life; my first daughter, Kim, though now, she probably hated me. She lost her whole family and I was in prison because of that, why wouldn’t she hate me? That tells me it would be useless to even try to talk to her, since she hasn’t even attempted to visit me. Why wouldn’t she believe it too? For all the things she’s probably been through with foster and adoption homes, I deserved to be locked up.

     But now, I liked my prison of a home, which is sad to admit. Three meals a day, a bed to sleep in, and high security shelter, who could want more when they had nothing on the streets? All the city could provide was an ally and dumpster to sleep beside. I had it all in my own little world. My only regret was lonesome, but, I still had my best friend; after I lost my memory of him he still stuck by me, but now all he could do was visit. Which, wasn’t too bad since he changed; all I’ve heard for the past five years is how “God” has changed his life.

     Eddie believed I needed to allow God into my life.

     I wasn’t an atheist. Yeah, God may have existed, but I didn’t per se “need” God.

     Okay, moving right along.

     Though I had a pretty easy life living in prison, I knew I was better off dead. The thought of being asleep for thousands of years made my day, the only problem was I hadn’t died yet, but that could always be arranged.

     Some days it was like being at the end of the rope, head under water, drowning in my own pity.

     I was utterly the most pathetic human being in the world.

     I wanted to die.

     It wasn’t worth it. My entire screwed-up-life hanging over my head was beyond over-baring for one person to handle.

     If I was to ever be released from prison, I would search for a way to put myself to death with no regret of doing so.

--------------------