.1

Kendall grabbed the last box from the moving van and started up the steps to her new apartment. She had just moved to New York City, hoping to become a magazine editor.

She stumbled into the elevator, nearly dropping her box, and pressed 3. She had spent months convincing her best friend Callie to move up to New York with her and share an apartment, and was ecstatic when Callie finally gave in.

She staggered into the apartment, beginning to struggle with the heavy box.

Kendall added the box to the jumble of things littering her new hard wood floor and called for Callie.

"We just have to unpack them now." Callie mumbles into her cell phone as she walked out of her bedroom.

"Okay, love you too mom." Callie said, quickly hanging up and rolling her eyes. "She's so worried about this. She thinks we're going to break everything" Callie says in a clearly annoyed voice.

She grabs a box and begins to walk into her bedroom, but Kendall stops her.

"We have to go pay the man who helped us move." she says to younger girl.

Callie was a year younger than Kendall, but they had grown up having classes together because Callie had skipped a grade.

"Oh, yeah." Callie begins to drift off. She pulls out her wallet and hands Kendall $100. "Is that enough?" she asks.

"Yeah, plenty" Kendall replies, surprised at the amount of cash Callie has in her wallet.

Kendall quickly runs to the elevator and then down the steps. She hands the burly moving man $250 while saying her thanks. He gives her a nod before climbing back in his white moving truck and pulling into the busy streets of New York City.

Before going back inside, Kendall looks up at all the building surrounding her and can't help but feel joy. She's brought down to earth by a phone ringing.

She pulls her phone out of her back pocket and sees it's her sister, Violet.

"What's up, Vi?" Kendall speaks into the small phone.

"I'm getting married!!" Violet shouts into the phone. "And I want you to be my maid of honor!"

"Uh, okay. Sure. I mean yeah. So he finally proposed, eh?" Kendall says, referring to Violets long time boyfriend Jack.

"Yep!! I can't wait!! I'll let you know when we know more details about the wedding, but I think it's going to be in about seven or eight months." Violet says, still sounding excited. "You'll have to fly back to Oregon to help!" she says.

"Can't wait!" Kendall says sarcastically. She hated Oregon, and was so glad to be out of that horrible state. It was just so boring.

"Now's not really a good time, I gotta go Vi. Moving in and all." Kendall muttered into the speaker, distracted by all the traffic on the street.

"Oh, how exciting!" Violet screeched into the phone. Kendall pulled the phone away from her ear to shield herself from the piercing noise.

"Love you, bye!" Violet says before hanging up.

Kendall turns around and stares up at her new building. It has seven floors, is made of brick, and is kind of run down, but it's way better Oregon.

Once back in her apartment she starts to unpack her boxes and assemble her room. After hours of unpacking, Callie calls for Kendall back in the living room.

Kendall walks out and sees Chinese food laid out on a make shift table made of boxes. They hadn't unpacked the living room yet.

Kendall sits on the floor and begins to pick at the food.

"Violet got engaged." Kendall deadpans.

"You don't seem very excited about that." Callie chuckles.

"Don't really like Jack, he seems like a dumbass." Kendall utters out, while bringing the chopsticks to her mouth. She loves Chinese food.

"I can see that." Callie replies, nodding her head.

The rest of the meal is are quickly and in silence, until Kendall gets up and says, "I'm going to go finish unpacking so I can go to sleep."

She then glances at her phone to see the time is 9:30 PM. It's getting late.

"Goodnight!" Callie shouts as Kendall walks into her bedroom.

"Night, loser." Kendall calls back, shutting her door.

She unpacks her picture frames, filled with pictures of her family. She scatters them around the room.

Finally, she is down to last box. She rips it open to find it is filled with clothes. She slowly unpacks them, her back beginning to hurt from her long day.

Once everything is away, she falls back onto her bed, exhausted. Realizing she is still in her jean shorts and "the Neighborhood" tee-shirt, she decides to change.

She pulls on some black running shorts and keeps her tee-shirt on.

Kendall climbs under her blue bedding and closes her eyes. Before she can sleep, she reaches over to set her alarm. She sets it for 6:00 AM, since she has to be at her new job at 7:30.

She closes her eyes once again and drifts off to sleep in no time.

-----

haha some of the things said in this chapter are very very important but won't really matter for a little while oh. yes thank you for reading I really like you.

so yeah vote, comment, and tell your friends to read!!

love caroline !!