Goodbye

It was midday. Wirt had retreated to his room, Greg was outside playing with Beatrice's dog. Mrs B was making them lunch and the other siblings of Beatrice were scattered around the house.

Dipper was at a disposal. He was bored and annoyed at Wirt's unwillingness to cooperate. Didn't he know how hard it was for him, too? Yes, he couldn't wait to see Mabel and the others again, but he had never felt about anyone the way he felt towards Wirt.

Dipper entered the living room finding it empty apart from Beatrice. He sat down heavily next to her on the sofa where she was reading.

"Alright, Dip?" She said without looking up.

"Yeah," he sighed. "Just trying to persuade Wirt to want to go home."

"What's crazy," said Beatrice lazily, turning a page. "There's no need; Just let him live with us for a few days and soon he won't be able to stay in this house another second."

Dipper laughed. It felt odd- as though the smile muscles in his face had not been used in a while.

Wirt entered cautiously. He was fully dressed and groomed, though his hair was still naturally, inescapably messy.

"Um, Dipper? Could I speak to you outside for a moment?" He asked nervously. Beatrice sniggered and muttered,

"You guys are so gay for each other."

Dipper scowled and her and got up, saying,

"Sure."

Wirt led him to the large garden. There were two of Beatrice's brothers playing with Greg and the dog, so they passed them, greeting them, and continued walking to the edge of the woods.
"I want to apologise," said Wirt. Dipper folded his arms.

"What for?"

"For being unappreciative."

Dipper frowned, his arms immediately loosening from their tangle.

"I was being selfish," said Wirt. "I was so wrapped up in my own desire to keep you close to me that I didn't think you going home was as important anymore. Which it obviously is."

Dipper blinked.

"I'm ...so sorry, Dipper-" choked Wirt, his voice breaking, putting a hand over his mouth and tears welling in his eyes. "I- I can't-"

"Oh, Wirt," Dipper said, melting and wrapping his arms around Wirt. "Wirt, it's alright."

"But it isn't," Wirt sobbed into Dipper's neck. "I need to do this right, I need to get us home."

"Are you sure?" Dipper asked.

"I'm ready," Wirt sniffed.

He drew back from Dipper and took out the lantern. He looked around.

"Greg!" He yelled. "Get over here!"

Greg ran over with one of the younger brothers.

"Hey, um-" Wirt said awkwardly. "We're gonna- ah-" he gestured to the lantern. "We're leaving."

"Oh, alright," Greg said. He turned to the boy. "Felix, would you be a lamb and tell your mum and family that we're off?"

"Sure," said Felix.

"...Felix," Dipper said cautiously. "Tell them thank you so much for everything. Wirt, don't you want to say goodbye to Beatrice?"

"I- not again. She knows." Wirt said quietly. "Say thanks, and goodbye."

"Alright," said Felix, and scampered off to the house.

"Are you ready?" Dipper asked anxiously.

Pause.

"Yes."

The three of them held hands and Wirt lifted the lantern. He turned to Dipper as he drew breath.

"Goodbye Wirt," Dipper said through tears.

"Goodbye Dipper," Wirt said, and leaned in and kissed him swiftly on the lips.

Dipper flushed and allowed it.

Greg grinned.

They drew apart, gazed into each others eyes for a moment, and then Wirt took a deep breath,

and blew out the lantern.