Ghosts, Ghouls, and High School Fools [9]

"Jonathon, let the poor girl go!" the woman made of white light scolds him.

His grip falls from me, but I end up having to support him when he loses the strength to stay upright.

"Ack! Jonathon!" I push him up until he's leaning against the tree. Sighing, I sit next to him.

"Mother..." The word falls from his mouth again. I look at him. His eyes are dazed and he's looking at the light woman like a four year old who saw a toy he wanted.

I turn away, fiddling with the ring on my finger. Wait a tick. A ring? I never wear rings. I look at it and it's really pretty. Silver band with some interesting etchings in it, a small but elegant emerald perched on the top. I fiddle with it some more, accidently pulling it off.

A huge shock comes from my arm, which is touching Jonathon's. I strangle a gasp as a vision takes over.

Not again.

I see Jonathon kneeling in the destroyed village. His eyes, red from crying, stare at the black tree in front of him and somehow I know that he knows what happened. He screams, a miserable, heart wrenching scream, clutching his middle as he bends over.

I jerk back to reality and make sure to scoot away from Jonathon.

I thought my visions stopped!

"Quinn."

My attention snaps to Jonathon's mother.

"Do you understand why you're here?"

"Uhh," My eyes dart between her and Jonathon, who has recovered from his shock, "Because I'm freaky?"

"No, honey," the woman crouches in front of me, resting a warm hand on my cheek, "You're here because you have wonderful gifts."

"Gifts?" Jonathon asks, clearly wanting to know what they are.

"Oh, yes, dear. Do you know what she can do?"

"No," he glares at me. I just look away, smirking.

"She's a medium to the dead. She sees the past, present, and future. She has the makings of a powerful priestess."

Jonathon's eyes had begun to widen while his mother spoke. Now, he's just looking at me like a fish out of water. Blushing, I look at anything except them.

Wait.

"Priestess?"

"Yes. You're here to become what you've always been destined to be," Jonathon's mother brushes hair from my face.

"A...priestess? Like, I'll be in a church all day?" I frown. That was not on my to-do-with-my-life list.

"Oh, no, honey, not like that at all. I'm talking about real priestesses, like the ones from ancient times."

Yeah, I don't get it either.

"What?" I ask stupidly.

"Long ago, demons, spirits, and other supernaturals roamed free to wreck havoc on villages. But, there were some who discovered they could do things beyond the norm, like you. They could see the demons, interact with them, and most importantly, destroy them. These individuals formed a society of slayers. Female slayers are priestesses."

"So...I'm a...slayer?"

Okay, so this is also not on my to-do-with-my-life list.

"You have the potential to be a very good one."

"What does this matter, mother?" Jonathon interrupts.

"I believe she can vanquish Vikter once and for all," she declares.

Jonathon gapes at her. He's been doing that a lot lately.

"Are you kidding? Vikter would eat her alive."

"You've seen her in action before, Jonathon," his mother's voice hardens, "She can already call the fire."

"Fire?" I raise an eyebrow, "What, you mean this?" I lift my hand and try to bring back the burning sensation. It works, and my hand alights in green flames.

Jonathon jumps back, "I wasn't just seeing things?"

"Oh, no, dear. This is very real."

"But...she's young. Inexperienced. How can she already call the fire?"

"Don't talk about me like I'm not here!" I really hate that.

"Jonathon, you're going to have to help her. Train her."

He groans, "Do I really?"

"Yes." If I could have seen her face, she would have frowned.

"Train me? Why? I'm not going to have to save the world or something, am I?" I joke.

Wait. They're not laughing.

"Well, not right now. Eventually...you might."

Crap.