Chapter 3 : Invitation

My eyes lightened to a piercing silver, fastening on the guy’s face with unveiled fury.

“Don’t - you - dare.”

I lifted my hands, palms forward, and directed the cool current of power toward my attacker. The wind ripped him off his feet and I watched with contempt as he sailed away from me toward the gym wall. He fell with a grunt and scrambled to his feet. I could hear his breaths coming in pants and he surveyed me with alarm rearing in his eyes.

“Leave.” I hissed through gritted teeth, quieting the gales with a flick of my wrist. The howl dropped from the air and an sudden erri silence enveloped us. He darted from the room, sneakers slipping on the waxed gym floor.

I blew out my breath, coming off of my adrenalin rush. I knew I had dismantled the problem, but unease still pricked through me. ‘That bastard’ I thought bitterly, wiping the sweat from my hands on my shorts. I absolutely loath handsy high school guys.

“Aren’t you worried?” The voice rang through the abandoned school gym, echoing off the high ceiling. I wheeled around, eyes snapping back to grey and wind rising up around me.

The newcomer, however, failed to be intimidated. He picked his steps carefully, head cocked to the side as he examined me. “Aren’t you worried he’ll tell someone?”

“And then what, get locked in a psych ward? Of course he won’t.” I made no attempt to smooth the bite in my voice. “What do you want?”

He stepped under the florescent lighting then. Strongly built, his dark hair cropped relatively short with intelligent brown eyes that bore into me. But there was something else in the way he walked- in the way he conducted himself.

“Werewolf, huh?” I spat, my body tensing. “I’ll repeat myself, what do you want?”

“I’m Scott.” The guy quirked an eyebrow. “I just want to talk.”

I quickly assessed him and concluded he was fine. His shoulders were drawn back and relaxed, hands unclenched at his sides. He appeared perfectly calm and content in human form.

I pivoted on my heel and stalked toward the exit. He wasn’t a threat, he was just being annoying. A waste of my time.

“Hold up!” I kept my pace, rolling my eyes.

“I said WAIT!” I froze as he drew out the last word, his voice dropped an octave and reverberated into a growl. My pulse quickened and I slowly turned around. The brown eyes had melted into red. This wasn’t just an bothersome Beta or ridiculous Omega. Scott was an alpha.

The scarlet eyes eventually dimmed and silence stretched before us. “You’re a bender.” He finally spoke. “Air, correc?”

I considered lying for half a heartbeat before remembering he could detect my pulse.

“All.” Was my horse reply. Scott’s eyes flashed.

“So Earth, Water, Fire, Air…”

“And storm.” Another silence. He then gave a curt nod. I was telling the truth.

“What are you doing in Beacon Hills?”

“Dunno. Just moved. What’s it to you.” A muscle in his jaw worked and he took a step forward. I drew an uneven breath. Wrong thing to say.

“Because it does.” His voice hushed. “Who are you with?”

I blinked. “Nobody. I really...I really just came alone.” A couple more terse seconds later, the alpha threw back his head and laughed, but it was a hollow sound.

“You chose a shit time to come to town, Bender.” He concluded. “Someone has recently decided supernatural beings are unfit to wander the earth.”

Suddenly, his bravo evaporated. “We could use someone like you. And I’m guessing you could use a pack.” His voice turned sincere as he gave me an address. “Tomorrow night. If you want.” He held my hazel eyes with his warm brown ones. His features softened and a hint of a smile played at the cornors of his mouth. “I hope to see you there.”

And then the alpha merged into the shadows and was gone.