Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

“What are we going to do this year?” Coach Jerkins yelled to the boys’ lacrosse team.

 “Win the championship!” the team retorted.

Jack was currently at lacrosse practice and he and his team were doing their pep talk. They had a game two weeks from now and they couldn’t afford to lose any games this season. Last year, it had been a cold season—like, literally it was fifty below in September. None of the boys had been prepared for it and they were sent into the ground thanks to the North Florida select team. 

“Alright, ladies,” Coach Jerkins continued on, “let’s do one last drill!”

The boys gulped down water and headed out on the field. The coach called out hurdles, pushups, crunches, planks, sprints, but the boys weren’t breaking.

“I’ve seen better,” the coach let a small smile peek through the edge of his lips. “But we can work with that. Go do a jog around the field,” he clapped his hands and then crossed his arms, occasionally mumbling to himself about the North Florida’s asshole of a coach.

“Dude, check it out,” Jack’s teammate Chris nudged his head to a honey blonde walking over to the field.

“Dang,” John stuck his fingers in his mouth and whistled to the beauty.

Jack shook his head and laughed under his breath. That was so like John. He had what, currently four girlfriends from all around the country? Most likely more than that, Jack sighed. It was a real shame that he did that to girls, but then again—

“Jack, get your lazy butt over here,” Coach Jenkins yelled for him.

Jack sprinted around the field ahead of the others and came to a stop when he reached his coach. “Yes sir?”

“I know you’ve got skill on the field, son,” Coach Jenkins started pacing, “and I also know that you could improve your game.”

“Are we making a compromise or just pointing out the obvious?” Jack waited impatiently.

“I think you would make a great caption for this team. You’re a good player, but you’re not the best.”

“Ha, I think you’re mistaken, I am the best.”

“If you were the best, slick, we would have won last year,” the coach eyeballed him.

Jack looked down at the ground ashamed. He knew that last year’s lost was mostly his fault. There was two minutes left in the game and they were down by one. John passed the ball to him, and Jack went to catch but missed it by a few feet above him. The ball was intercepted by a North Florida player, and he scored on them.

“If you want to become caption of this team, Jack, you’ll need to step up your game,” he continued. “Do you understand what I am telling you?”

“Yes, sir, I’ll do my best,” Jack shook his hand.

The other boys were almost done with their jogs, so I went over and grabbed my stuff and waited for them to finish up.

“Catch,” Jack tossed Chris his water bottle.

John took a gulp of his water and choked, “Whoa, guys, check it out,” he coughed.

All the guys turned to see the honey-blonde walking over to them.

John cut in front of her and wiped his mouth, “Hi gorgeous, I’m John.”

Brennea thought to herself, “John… No, I need to find Jack.”

“I was just wandering who owned the gray Accord?” Brennea looked around.