Chapter 9: Of Punches and Bosses

Chapter 9: Of Punches and Bosses :

(Kyle’s P.O.V)

I looked out of the window, watching the sun rise. It was a beautiful day. I glanced down at Crystal who was sleeping contentedly on my lap. She actually looked like an angel, vulnerable and delicate. A smile played at my lips when I realized how peaceful she looked. At least there was a time when she wasn’t agitated.

I had been up for quite some time just watching her slumbering on me. I wondered when she had decided to follow in her father’s footsteps; her father was a federal agent. She never struck me as a person to take up criminal investigation as a profession. During our younger days, she had been too fragile and frail. It was astonishing to see her now, so headstrong and gritty. She may not be physically strong, her built was small and thin, but her mental strength was indomitable. Her resolve drove her to her goals. It was almost disconcerting to see her so fixated on her job. I had been pretty sure; Caden would be more like his father. Crystal was just so girly and sweet in those days. More like her mother, poignant and gentle.

Her father had been a proud officer who wanted his children to be like him. I recalled the time when during her birthday celebrations her father had said something along the lines of ‘ my daughter will shine in this field one day’ and Crystal had scrunched up her nose in disgust and cried out that she hated fights and guns and was never going to do that. I was surprised that the girl who used to cry her lungs out when she scraped her knees had turned out to be a tough woman. One who carried a gun…

Sitting there on her couch, I realized how much she had changed. But even I had, hadn’t I? Every cell in my brain warned me to stay away from Crystal, being in her proximity was dangerous. It was better not to become too attached to her. But a strange force pulled me to her; it was difficult to avoid her. I had easily warmed up to her even though I knew she hated my guts, although unknowingly, but still.

My phone buzzed in my pocket at the exact moment that Crystal stirred and opened one eye to give me a fleeting look. I ignored the buzzing phone and smiled down at her, “Rise and Shine, honey,” I beamed.

“Don’t call me honey, I am not your wife, you flirt,” Crystal responded groggily and snuggled her face into my stomach, going back to sleep.

I looked down at her with an amused expression realizing she was not a morning person. I decided to carry her to her bed and let her stretch her muscles a little, I was sure she was going to have muscle ache when she got up for sleeping on the couch.

Slowly I slid my arms under her head and knees and tried to lift her up. As it turns out, it wasn’t difficult at all, she hardly weighed anything. Carrying her along, I looked through each door before I finally found the bedroom. I walked in and heaved her on the bed. At that precise instant she woke up with a start and punched me on the nose.

“Uff…” I groan in pain, collapsing on the bed.

She rubbed her eyes for a few seconds until she opened them and took in her surroundings, when they landed on me they grew wide and she gasped, putting a hand on her mouth.

“Oops…” she grimaced.

“What was that for?” I growled, my nose still throbbing.

“Umm… I thought, it was a burglar or something,” she said, giving me a pitiful look, “Are you alright?”

“I think my nose is broken,” I said, grimacing.

“I am sorry,” she genuinely looked so.

“Hey, that’s okay, these things keep happening,” I said, trying to lighten up the mood.