Ten

Rob had been at one of the bank’s monthly executive management meetings. He stopped by John’s desk on his way back to his office.

“Do you have a second, Sport?” he said solemnly.

A shot of adrenalin immediately went through John. He stood up. “Of course.”

He followed Rob into his office and sat down in the leather-backed visitor’s chair. Rob closed the door, which confirmed it was serious. John’s thoughts raced through the possibilities.

I am about to close the Wellco deal, so they aren’t about to fire me.

Shit, could they?

Maybe Thurston’s done a hatchet job on me.

Oh fuck.

I should have kept my mouth shut.

The insecurity of working in an investment bank could be debilitating if a banker let it get to him. Having Rob as his boss though, meant John was usually able to keep such thoughts at bay.

“We’ve worked closely together now for almost 10 years,” Rob said.

John sat there with a blank expressionon his face, hiding his fear. This isn’t good.

“We’ve had a great run, pulled off some great deals, and gotten well paid along the way.”

John felt sick.

“I’ve decided it’s time to retire.”

“What?” John was both shocked and relieved at the same time.

“I’m 53,” Rob continued. “I don’t need to be working this hard anymore. That’s for you young guns.”

“I’m in shock.” It was a remark that John would later recall and wish he had kept to himself.

“I’ve put you forward as my replacement. You’re ready.”

John really was inshock. There was so much to take in; his head was spinning. He took a deep breath. “What are you going to do?” he finally asked.

Rob shrugged. “Sit on some company boards. Play golf. Be part of my grandchildren’s lives. Take some trips abroad without a laptop.”

John looked into Rob’s eyes and saw they were watery—not something you saw on your average day on Wall Street.

“When will this happen?”

“I’ll stay on for three months and help with the handover of clients.”

John sighed, overwhelmed. He couldn’t imagine doing this—being an investment banker—without Rob. He was his mentor, a constant source of guidance and direction; his court to bounce ideas off.

“You’ve got an interview with Kevin at eight a.m. tomorrow morning.”

They got to their feet and Rob walked over to open the door. John noticed Rob’s hand was shaking. Another first. The situation was so far out of the ordinary. John’s feet were planted on the ground, unable to move. He wanted to do or say something, but wasn’t sure what.

Rob came over to John and put his hand out. John didn’t take it, instead spontaneously wrapped his arms around Rob, giving him a bear hug. Rob patted John on the back, which made him realize just how far from their normal protocol he had deviated. They’d never even come close to embracing before. He felt he had to let go, but didn’t want to. With Rob leaving and Annie moving to Chicago, it felt like all of his foundations were falling down around him.