Nine

John arrived 15 minutes late to dinner. Rasha was already seated, looking uncomfortable. 

She got up from her chair as John approached. He gave her a kiss on the cheek. She sat back down and crossed her arms, sullenly.

“Sorry, I got held up at work. How are you?” he asked.

“Fine,” she said without enthusiasm.

John looked down at his menu. After a quick skim, he suggested Rasha order for both of them.

“Do you like your food spicy?” she asked, a wicked look in her eyes.

“I can stomach medium,” he said.

The service was slow, but the sounds of a dining room full of patrons gave the restaurant a good vibe. The atmosphere between them thawed with the meal and a few drinks, however John didn’t really want to be here.

Barbara had been on his mind all day. As soon as John had opened his eyes that morning, he smiled and reminisced about the events of the night before. Throughout his day, moments of the previous night came back to him eliciting butterflies. Now he foundhimself at dinner with the wrong woman. 

“I’d like to travel,” said Rasha, telling him about her plans. “France and Italy are the first places I will go when I have enough money.”

“Both countries have amazing food,” said John.

“I know,” said Rasha enthusiastically. “I will eat my way through them.”

“That sounds like a plan.”

“Have you been there?” asked Rasha.

“Yeah, both places are great and I’d definitely like to spend more time in Europe.”

“Maybe we can go together,” Rasha suggested.

John contemplated it for a second and then internally baulked at the thought. “Where else have you travelled to?” he asked.

“I’ve never been anywhere except Brazil, Argentina and America.”

The conversation meandered on through work and life: whether or not Rasha should ask for a raise, how much oil, butter, and cream was in the food at Balthazar, movies Rasha was interested in seeing and her plans to study after she’d travelled. They were soon chatting more intimately again and as the night went on, John was increasingly more social and relaxed.

The potential dilemma occurred to John while Rasha pushed her food around with a fork and talked about life in Brazil.

Should I invite her back?

What about Barbara?

She might not even be interested in me.

She kissed me for God’s sake.

I don’t want Rasha staying the night and keeping me awake.

But what about Ray? Is Barbara going to go out on a date with him as well?

There’s nothing certain about Barbara: she may be neurotic underneath her cool exterior or she may like Ray more.

After meeting Barbara yesterday and Rasha’s snoring a week ago, John would never have guessed he would ever want to sleep with Rasha again. But she was sexy, he was tired, she was here, and work was shitty.

As soon as it became apparent she had finished her meal, John pulled three 20s out of his wallet and gave them to the waitress before she had a chance to take their plates or even grab the check. Then, without warning, John suggested Rasha come back to his place for a drink. His underlying intention was obvious.