Chapter 13: Janette Kidnapped

We were sailing in the open seas, when, at last, the harbinger yelled with joy:

"A land! I see a land on the horizon!"

We all eagerly gathered at the prow and looked ahead. Indeed, a small island had appeared on the horizon. There were rocky cliffs everywhere,  as if shark jaws and teeth.

We heard Captain's boots stomp on the floor. Blood Rain came at the prow and gazed at the island.

"We've arrived."

When we got close to the island, we noticed a black-sailed ship anchored there at the shores.

"There he is, as promised."

I guessed Blood Rain was referring to Jack Sparrow, who had indeed promised to meet us at Shark Jaw Island. Goosebumps ran down my spine - if it all worked out, my battle with the monstrous shark would draw nearer.

We anchored our junk at the shore too, and got onto the land in order to defend ourselves from Jones' next possible attack (he could not walk on land at all now, for he had betrayed Goddess Calypso and was condemned to remain a prisoner of the seas). Captain Blood Rain told me that Davy Jones would be roaming here. He knew we were coming to kill the Megalodon and thus end his life forever, which he greatly feared, obviously.

We set a camp together with Jack Sparrow's crew near the shore, so we could remain close to our ships. We made bonfires and began feasting on the beach like real pirates - with rum, fish and meat, and of course, curses and quarrels (no pirate gathering could get away without those).

Captains, their first mates and I (for I was already officially a girlfriend of my captain (yup, a pretty good status)) were gathered at one of the bonfires. Jack Sparrow was drinking rum as usual (seriously, this guy never knew when to stop).

"By the way," Blood Rain spoke, referring to Sparrow and Mr. Gibbs, "I must inform you that we stumbled across the Flying Dutchman on the way. I had a tough battle with Davy Jones and, thanks to Janette, we successfully got away."

I grinned proudly, happy to be praised. I believed that these were my first steps towards becoming a glorious sea warrior like my father was, according to my mother's tales.

"Aye, told ye she would prove useful." Mr. Gibbs smiled at Blood Rain.

"She's not just useful. She's my treasure."

Blood Rain blushed and wrapped his arm around me. My cheeks flushed too as I smiled at my captain. Mr. Gibbs widened his eyes at first, but then chuckled as if he was too familiar with such young lovebird couples. Jack Sparrow instead almost choked on his rum. He quickly got the bottle off his lips and glanced at us, grimacing with slight disgust.

"I feel sorry for yer lass."

"Huh?"

Blood Rain furrowed his brow. I raised an eyebrow too - what did he mean? Yet, I could easily guess the meaning of his words - he thought Blood Rain was a bad choice for a mate.

"Blood Rain is a great guy!"

This man had already got my goat - all he did was drink and flail his arms and fingers as if a madman. And he stunk even worse than Stinky Joe ever did. He almost brought me nausea.

Blood Rain stopped me, giving me a sign that it was futile to have an argument with the likes of that guy. So I consented and quieted down.

At night, we fell asleep in our camp, and the captains appointed some guards so that the possible enemies wouldn't sneak up on us.

When it was long past midnight, a silent whistle of the sand reached my ears, as if someone was slowly walking towards me. I did not pay much attention - I thought it might just be some animal of the island. But then slight hums of blades came, and even the whispering exclamations of some of my mates who were appointed as guards!

I sprang up, with my eyes wide open, but before I could even yell, filthy barnacled hands of sea demons covered my mouth with a cloth!

I was groaning, trying to yell with all my might. I grabbed the handle of my sword, but one of the demons hit me in the head and I blacked out.