Chapter 9

Chapter 9 Not What I Expected

When I got out of the bathroom I smirked, "Nice to see ya'll took my advice and are ready to go"

River tried wrapping his arm around me. I declined and moved for the door. I don't want to get off track.

"Don't just stand there, lets go boys. Times a wastin'!"

The boys were silent as they followed me out the door. Declan sat in the passenger seat and River sat in the back with me.Marcus started the car and drive off towards our destination.

The quietness was very irritating. The boys not only were silent, but also grumpy looking.

"Oh guys, stop. I know I was a little harsh, but c'mon. You were all really annoying and fighting and stuff. It was childish, but it's all in the past now. No need to be mad" I said smiling.

Declan let out a laugh, "We're far from mad, Kena. We were just waiting and hoping you weren't going to explode again"

Marcus nodded, "You were just a bit angry, Kanababy . We didn't want to anger you further"

"I'm sort guys", I smiled, "Let's just forget about it"

"Already forgotten, babe" River said kissing my cheek.

"Now that that's over" I started, "Can I ask you some questions about Shane, Marc?"

"You can ask away, Ken, but I don't know if I'll have all the answers"

"That's alright. So I was wondering if you know why Shane left Europe and moved to Seattle?"

Marcus sighed, "Well from what I've heard, Shane's mate was killed in a battle in Europe and the wolf or rogue or hunter or whatever that killed her was actually after Shane. Shane felt so much guilt and couldn't bare to live in the house, or country rather, that his love was taken from him in"

"That's so sad!" I said and clung to River, hoping he would never leave me, "So you don't know who killed his mate?"

"No, he never told anyone"

"Have you met Shane?"

"No, or at least not that I remember"

"Hmm" I sighed, "So you think he'll be able to give us some answers?"

"I hope so, sweetheart. I really hope so"

The remaining minutes of the ride, went quickly and in silence.

When we pulled up to a secluded home in the woods, I knew we had arrived. My tattoos stung, searing with a hot, tingling feeling that brought chills down my spine. It wasn't a painful kind of tingling, but more of the kind of tingling you get when you know something is going to happen.

I became excited, my eagerness kicking in once again, filling me with anticipation for what's about to come.

I blew out a sigh, here goes nothing... Or rather everything.

"Do you think you can handle this, baby?" River said, kissing my forehead.

"Yes. I can't wait any longer, River. I need todo this"

"Alright, Kenababy, lets do this" Marcus said, getting out of the car and opening my door for me.

Dec gave me a brave smile and headed, behind Marcus, to the door. River followed next, holding my hand and pushing me begin him.

Three knocks later and the door opened.

I couldn't see with the boys standing in front of m, so when the door opened I was quite annoyed.

"Shane?" Marcus questioned.

"Marcus" He replied, his voice strong, but also weak, "I've been expecting you"

"You have?" Marcus sounded confused. Hell, so wasn't I.

"Yes, c'mon in" He said. I could hear the wooden floor boards creak underneath his weight, telling me he'd moved aside, allowing us access.

The boys entered the house, River pulling me along.

We followed Shane into what was clearly his living room. Black couches were pushed against the walls and a fireplace sat in front of them while a tv sat in the corner. I got my first look at Shane when he sat in a recliner chair near the fireplace.

We all took seats on the cough nearest to him. Shane was definitely an 'Old One'. His face shown he was many decades old and the wrinkles near his eyes told me he'd seen much more in life than I ever had. His eyes are what lured me in though.

They were gold.

"You're royalty" I whispered.

"Ah, Kenadee, I expected you would be here also. I knew Marcus' stubborn attitude wouldn't hold you back from coming. You've just reached the age of 17, am I right?"

I nodded.

"You're as beautiful as you were the last time I saw you, just like your mother" He smiled a sad smile.

"Shane, you are royalty and so am I" I stated.

"You are intelligent, Kenadee. That's one of the traits I wish came from my side of the family, but who am I kidding. Your father was a smart man, and so wasn't his own father"

"You knew them well then?" I asked.

"Oh yes. It's hard to not know your daughter and her mate well" he smiled at me.

"I knew it!" Marcus started, "I knew you were more than-"

"I'm going to put some tea on. Then we'll discuss what you came here for, shall we?"

Silence took over us.

Dec cleared his throat and whispered, "Please"

Shane went off to go prepare tea and I was left to my thoughts.

I know what he said and as much as I wanted to deny it, I know he was telling the truth. This man, this Old One, is family.

I looked at Marcus, hoping he would say something, anything.

"Marcus?" I whispered.

"Mmm?"

"He's our grandfather"