Chapter 9

"Heimdall!" I exclaim as I finally reach my destination - the Bifrost.

   "Greetings, Princess," he says.

   "Heimdall, please," I say, catching my breath. I was not running, or even jogging, but my thoughts made my mind reel and my breathing pace quicken. "My father."

   The Gatekeeper sighs and loosens his muscles, and therefore his vigilant stance. "You worry over him," he says.

   "I worry of what he might do," I correct.

   "And that as well." My correction raises one corner of Heimdall's mouth into a half-grin. "Why would you?"

   "He is my father," I answer, "and Loki. Why should I not?"

   Heimdall turns around and walks into the Bifrost. I follow him, going silent. "Your father journeyed to the Jotunheim," he says. I do not ask him why, simply because I do not yet wish to know. Correction: I wish to know, I simply do not yet wish to be told. 

   I stare out into the immense, starry universe. In my personal opinion, its wonderous beauty has no compare. A mass of never-ending space, packed with billions of stars, and planets, and nine realms all spread across it. Amazing.

   I choose this moment for the news to be spilled. "Go on," I tell him.

   He gives me a look."Excuse me?"

   "Tell me why he's there," I demand calmly.

   The Gatekeeper joins me, standing at my side and staring out into the void. I turn my head to the side, looking at what I can see of his eyes. They are yellow, with a hint of purple in them. He is searching, and watching everything my father does right now, in this very moment.

   A long moment passes with nothing except the silence. "Are you waiting for me to plead?" I ask sarcastically.

   "No," he says.

   "Then tell me," I say again.

   He turns his head to me, looking into my color-changing eyes. "I cannot," he says admittedly.

   "You cannot what?" I ask, getting slightly irritated.

   Once again he turns his head away, and I follow his gaze. "I cannot see him."

**********

[Meanwhile in Jotunheim...]

   "Kill him," King Laufey commands his soldiers.

   Loki stops in his tracks and gives a look of fake surprise. "After all I've done for you," he says.

   "So you're the one who showed us the way into Asgard," Laufey's voice echoes deeply.

   "That was just a bit of fun, really," Loki begins with a widening grin. "To ruin my brother's big day. And to protect the realm from his idiotic rule a while longer." His expression turns dark and mischievous.

   "I will hear you," Laufey says, clearly interested.

   "I will conceal you," he says while walking slowly to his left, "and a handful of your soldiers, lead you into Odin's chambers, and you can slay him where he lies."

   Laufey's grin sprouts dangerously. "Why not kill him yourself?"

   Loki scoffs in an amused manner. "I suspect that the Asgardians would not take kindly to a King who had murdered his predecessor." Laufey cocks his head as he listens carefully to Loki's words. "Once Odin is dead I will return the Casket to you-" And at this Laufey stands quickly. How pleasing and tempting an offer. "And you can return Jotunheim to all it's, uh..." Loki shifts his position and looks around awkwardly. "... glory," he finishes, and gives a quick smile.

   "I," Laufey begins, lowering his head with a dangerous grin, "accept."

**********

[Back in Asgard...]

   "I am leaving, Heimdall," I announce and quickly shuffle out of the Bifrost chambers, but I do not fully leave him. Instead, I stand hidden by the wall of the dome, my feet on the rainbow bridge. I keep my listening skills keen and sharp, waiting for my father to return. 

   Suddenly the Bifrost is activated again, and within seconds my father is brought back to Asgard. I do not attempt to peek over the side, for I know I will be seen, most likely by my father. He is the first to speak. "What troubles you, Gatekeeper?" he asks in a low tone.

   "I turned my gaze upon you in Jotunheim but could neither see you nor hear you. You were shrouded from  me like the Frost Giants that entered this realm," Heimdall answers.

   "Perhaps your senses have weakened after your many years of service," my father suggests. I do not believe him, nor - I think - does Heimdall. I hear his footsteps inside the chambers.

   "Or perhaps someone has found a way to hide that he does not wish me to see," the Gatekeeper suggests secondly.

   My father's light footsteps continue across the floor of the Bifrost chambers, with a pause in the conversation before he picks it back up. "You have great power, Heimdall," he says. "Did Odin ever fear you?"

   "No," Heimdall answers simply.

   "And why is that?"

   "Because he is my King, and I am sworn to obey him."

   "He was your King, and you are sworn to obey me now." A pause, both in Father's footsteps and in his speaking. Yes?"

   Only a few seconds pass before Heimdall answers him, but they are somewhat muscle-tensing. My father is most definitely plotting something. Something that he absolutely does not wish Heimdall to see. Attempts of fooling Heimdall are of no use, but Father is doing quite well with aquiring what he wants. "Yes."

   "Then you will open the Bifrost to no one, until I have repaired the damage that my brother has done," he says, his footsteps growing louder as they quickly pace across the floor once again.

   I panic on the inside. Please do not let him see me, I do not want him to see me, please... I squint my eyes shut and swiftly turn my body to face the ocean, opening and widening my eyes once I hear the footsteps directly behind me. Every muscle in my entire body stiffens, and I go completely silent. No movement; no sound. 

   Though they do not stop, the footsteps. They continue on their way, as if I was never here, as if I were never seen. How could that be? I wonder to myself. Curiosity is biting at my flesh. After a long moment, I turn around to my left to see my father making his way down the Bridge. I furrow my brow at his back. How did you not see me? I ask him silently.

   Father continues on his fast walk to the palace. "... until I have repaired the damage that my brother has done." I repeat his words in my head. Does he hint of Thor's banishment? Or of his foolishness, having the result of Odin's condition? Too many questions, not enough answers. Or perhaps there is an answer. One answer that connects it all. But how should I know? I am the young princess to whom no highly valuable information is rendered.

   An image of a Frost Giant flashes before my eyes, and I gasp as I step back. Another image flashes across my vision, this time of my father and his blue hands - his Jotun hands. I can do that. I can turn blue. I can be a Jotun. I am a Jotun.

   I gaze down at my hands and-

   My eyes immediately grow wide. "What the-" I exclaim to myself. I cannot see my hands. Where are my hands?! I panic. I am trying to remian calm, and keep quiet, because Heimdall is still in the Bifrost chambers. This is definitely a spontaneous moment, and I am confused. Then realization hits me between the eyes. I feel like a fool. "Magic!" I say to myself, a little louder than I meant to.

   Deep in my thoughts, I was not saying 'please don't let him see me', I was actually imagining myself being invisible - hard, too. And it worked. I literally turned myself invisible, and I honestly do not want to know how. I am just overjoyed that I have gone further into mastering the magic of illusions on my own. Surely Father would be proud.