Chapter 5

[A few days later...]

   Laughing and cheering ring in my ears. Smiles are all around the room. Everyone is present - my father, Uncle Thor, Fandral, Volstagg, Sif, Frigga, and Hogun - except Grandfather. Unfortunately, he could not join us due to his duties as King. I know not of the exact reason, but I do not bother to contemplate over it. It is not a matter of my concern. Besides, no one else seems to be thinking of it either. They are all too busy celebrating.

   "Congratulations!" exclaims Fandral. Everyone chimes in, felicitating me on my progression onto another year. Celebrations such as this do not occur very often. In fact, they are nearly rare. My father requested such an occasion for me. When he told me of these kinds of things, I got excited. And now, here I am.

   I smile gratefully at Fandral and then I smile just in general, though particularly at my father. Why? Because he is my father, and I love him. Also, because he is talking with everyone, speaking cheerfully. One thing that makes me feel better is that my father is happy. He used to be like normal children, playing and joking with his brother, but was always mature for his age, so I've heard. He seems like a more quiet person now, when compared to back then. Although I quite enjoy the peace, there is sometimes a sorrowful aura in his presence.

   The seven of us are in a large room with a wide balcony at the far end of the room. We are gathered together in an uneven oval. Frigga, Fandral, and my father sit on the long, velvet sofa while Thor sits on a chair beside it. Volstagg sits a tad lazily on the ground, leaning against an empty seat. The others stand behind the sofa, looking down at me. All of the men, except for Fandral, grip a glass in their hands. A champagne colored liquid waves inside of every one.

   Thor cracks a joke and a roar of laughter resounds in the room, despite the large open space at the balcony. One of the double doors behind us opens, and a pair of guards step through, followed by two others behind them. "My Queen," one of them in the front says, "there is a visitor for the princess."

   Frigga turns her attention to the guards, and the two in the front create a larger space between them. It is then I see a young boy with neat, black hair dangling over his right eye standing in the center of all four guards.

   Nari.

   "Nari!" I exclaim, a smile widening over my face. I put down one of the small boxes I was given to open as a gift, and quickly get up, running to him.

   Frigga stands, making her way towards Nari and the guards. "Was it necessary for all of you to escort this boy?

   "He is of the Jotunheim, ma'am," another guard says.

   At this my father looks over, and the others also cast a glance at Nari. "He's my friend," I say in his defense.

   "You're friends with this boy?" asks Frigga. I nod. "Where did you meet him?"

   "Um..." I quickly think of something other than the truth to say. He could get in trouble, and I do not want that. "I met him outside a little bit ago."

   "Today?" she asked.

   I shake my head. "No, a few days ago."

   Frigga nods and dismisses the guards. They all leave at once, their armor clattering with every step they took. The door shut behind them. I smile at Nari, and he returns it with a grin. "I promised," he says.

   I smile wider. "Come on," I say, and lead him into the oval of my royal family. Nari goes ahead of me and sits down on the ground, beside where I sat, while my father grabs my arm. I look at him, a slight look of confusion on my face.