Kuwuna

Scene 10 Kuwuna

Lights switch on. Sounds of birds chirping can be heard. Yalenga is stretching herself. She has just woken up. Tumpale is gathering his things into a bundle.

Tumpale: It was good to meet you.

Yalenga: It was good to meet you too.

Tumpale: (Holding Wamaka's hand) I hope you visit your family soon.

Wam: It was good seeing you again. Take care.

Tumpale: You too.

Tumpale exits the stage. Yalenga and Wamaka walk.

Yal: I heard a little bit of your conversation last night. Who is Wakisa?

Wam: Tumpale's older brother. He was my fiancé.

Yal: What happened to him?

Wam: When we found out that the Mwenemisuku wanted to marry me, Wakisa came up with this plan that we run away to Songwe. I told my sister about my plan and she told my father who told Mwenemisuku. They found us running away. They killed Wakisa as a punishment to me.

Yal: Why didn't you tell me this?

Wam: It's too painful for me to talk about.

The Kuwuna, unseen by the girls, is approaching from behind.

Yal: I understand.

Kuwuna: Mwali. Mwali. Mwali. ( In a sing-song voice)

Yal: Its him!!

Wam draws a spear.

Kuwuna: What an honour it is for me to fight a Kaulimi warrior. It will be my pleasure to take your life.

Wamaka tries to stab him. He dodges her and comes closer to touch her shoulder. He has an arrogant smirk on his face. They fight, Wamaka seems to be losing. Kuwuna is about to touch her elbow. Yalenga stabs Kuwuna on the arm with her spear. He falls down.

Yalenga: I put a more potent dose on the spear, so he will be out for two suns.

Wam: Look at the mountain, that's Kaulimi. It should be a sun's walk to there. Once we arrive he won't bother us anymore.

Yal: After this will you go visit your family?

Wamaka: I want to.

Yal: I could come with you if you want.

Wamaka: (smiles) I'd like that.

They both exit the stage.

Author's Note

Oh no. one more scene and the play is over.

Also if you enjoyed this, you might also enjoy Kalikwikwiti which is in the world as Kaulimi but 300 years later.

I am working on a sequel to this play. It will be a novel and it will be much longer. I will post it on wattpad