Part 2

Scene 3 Impala

Wamaka and Yalenga are walking. There are many trees in the background. Animals can be heard moving in the forest.

Wam: I'm going very far. This (grunts) will delay me. (Grunts)

Yalenga: I'm sorry that I have delayed you. Thank you for pulling me from that hole.

Wamaka: (In an angry tone) I'm beginning to regret doing so.

Yalenga: I can tell you are a mighty hunter from your tattoos. My grandmother told me stories about warriors like...

Wamaka: Quiet! (She points in the distance)

Yalenga: (In a failed attempt to whisper) An Impala!

Wamaka annoyed puts her finger on her lips. She begins to stalk it exhibiting great skill. She then fires her arrow, walks off stage and returns with an impala.

Wam: Now for the second one?

Yal: What's the second one for?

Wam: When you destroy an Akafula trap you compensate with two animals. It's a sign of penance.

Yal: And if you do not?

Wam: One would be an insult. No one dares to insult the Akafula. They are the most powerful magicians in all of Maravi. They are chauta's firstborns. He gave them the skill of making good traps that always capture game and the secrets of magic. The rest of the magic practised is derivative of theirs.

Yal: Oh. I didn't know that.

Wam: You are naïve.

Yal: I've never been this far away from my village. I've never been outside my village.

Wam: Maybe you should have stayed there.

Yalenga getting emotionally charged; her voice is shaky.

Yal: I could not. (Walks to the edge of the stage) I'm from Nkhamanga. For thousands of moons we lived a simple and peaceful life. A few moons ago, the Ngoni arrived with an Ikwa in hand and death on their mind. They massacred the men in our village. Our men, too accustomed to peace, were no match for these beasts. They killed my whole family but me and my mother. My mother full of grief died two moons ago. This moon I was betrothed to one of the beasts. That's why I left.

Wam: Where are you going?

Yal: To Kaulimi.

Wam: I'm going that direction. I will take you there. Without me I know a naïve girl like you will be eaten by nightfall.

Yalenga laughs at what Wamaka has just said.

Wamaka: Quiet. I see an impala in the distance.

Wamaka kneels, aims at the distance and pulls her arrow with great dexterity. She walks off stage to go get the animal. Yalenga follows her.

Scene 4 Akafula

Yalenga and Wamaka are kneeling both holding an impala each in their hands. In front of them are the two Akafula.

Akafula 1: They are beautiful. I can tell their death was painless. You are a fine mzengeli Wamaka Kyara of Kaulimi.

Wam: Please accept our humble apology. (She gives the Impala to the Akafula standing before her and signals Yalenga to give the Impala in her arms to the other Akafula in front of her)

Akafula2: Chatonda, may your travels be without toil. May Mwanda, father of all, look on you favourably.

Akafula 1: Beautiful mwali, may you find that which you seek. And may those malevolent ones who seek you meet their demise. May Mwanda father of all look on you favourably.

Akafula 1 gives the impala to Wamaka.

Akafula 2: Go in peace.

Wamaka and Yalenga walk away.

Yal: Why did they give us back the second Impala.

Wam: It's a sign of truce: a consolidation of their prayers on us. It's almost sunset. We should find a cave for the night and roast this impala.

Wamaka and Yalenga walk off stage.

Ikwa is Ngoni spear which is short.

ulumba- hunter

Chatonda means conqueror/hero.

Mwali means girls of marrying age

author's Note:

Thanks for reading.

Is there anything confusing, please let me know. This story is embedded in Malawian culture, they could be things I am taking for granted.

did you enjoy these scenes please let me know through comments or votes.

Kaulimi is part of my new series entitled Maravi Series which will include a novel which will function as sequel to this play .

I made a mistake in the previous version i put Mwanda but now i have corrected it to Chauta.