Chapter 7: Intense Spotlight

It’s incredibly terrifying when you wake up to find yourself stripped down to your underwear and bra with leather straps binding your wrists, legs, and chest. I didn’t dare open my eyes as the realization of the position I was in washed over me. The bare skin of my back and thighs was chilled from what I assumed was a metal chair was sitting on. My entire body was quivering as fear pulsed through my veins. It was like a marching band that was playing the perfect song that described fear.

            A click broke through the silence around me; so loud it was like a gunshot in a crowd. I jerked violently and bit my tongue to stop the cry that threatened to spill from my lips. I swallowed thickly as a hot rush of tears pricked the back of my eyes.

            Intense heat warmed my skin, similar to the heat that came from spotlights on stage. I could see the pattern of veins through the red film of my eyelid. I licked my lips. I couldn’t hide. I couldn’t pretend that this was some bad dream. Eventually I would have to open my eyes and face reality. A hand suddenly caressed my cheek and tucked my copper hair behind my ear. I froze in terror and disgust. Lips followed the hands, gently touching the shell of my ear, “Time to wake up, Stone.”

            I recoiled from his touch, my eyes snapping open to look into his face, “Don’t touch me.”

            “You hurt my feelings,” Timotheus grinned broadly as he stepped away. I noticed that I was in a plain room that was completely dark save for – hey I was right! – spotlight that was directed at me. And of course there was faint light emitting from the colored flames around Timotheus, Heather, and two men – one with white flames and the other with yellow.

            I noticed that they were standing behind what I assumed was a camera. Horror washed over me. They were going to make a ransom video. And I was in my underwear. I looked down at my skeletal body and froze. Almost seventy percent of my body was covered in bruises. I looked back up, immediately finding Timotheus. For just a moment his cocky face twisted into pity and confusion. He met my eyes and said, “We didn’t do that. When we stripped you, you were already bruising. We had taken special precautions so you wouldn’t get hurt. There’s nothing serious. Jon – our doctor – checked you.”

            I simply stayed silent. Timotheus huffed in frustration before pressing what was most likely the recording button on the camera. A little red dot began to flash. After a few beats, he walked over to me with Heather and the two other men following. He stopped slightly behind me, resting his hand on my bare and bony shoulder. A shiver passed through me and I resisted the urge to gag at the contact.

            “Mr. Roy Stone; pleasure to talk to again although I do wish it were other circumstances. I am sure that you know why I am making this video. As you can see, I have your beautiful daughter here to keep me company. She tried to resist but” – Timotheus chuckled while squeezing my shoulder warningly – “she didn’t really succeed. I know what you are planning Stone and you will not succeed. If you want your daughter back, you will give us the formula for that drug and the money that you have to promote it.

            “You have two weeks from today. Don’t call the police. Simply comply with our demands or things will get much worse for this tiny thing,” he pinched something on my shoulder that caused my body to freeze as pain lashed through my body while I howled soundlessly.

            Timotheus release my shoulder and said in a chilling voice, “You have until May 26, Stone.”

            It wasn’t until Timotheus was kneeling in front of me that I realize I had stopped breathing. I inhaled shakily and stared at him with barely concealed terror. The spotlight that had been bearing down on me was gone, replaced by florescent lights in the ceiling. Timotheus’s gang also was noticeably absent.

            I looked at the man in front of me, really looked. He wore black cargo pants with combat boots; a black long sleeved shirt clung to thick, yet lean defined muscles. His hair, I could see, wasn’t ruffled and held by hairspray but simply from him running his fingers through it constantly. A light powder of freckles tattooed his cheeks and the bridge of his nose, making him oddly less intimidating.

            “I am going to untie you now. There is a cot behind you with a blanket and a pillow. Me or Heather will bring in food and water for you while Jon will check on you daily to make sure that you are okay as far as health,” Timotheus slowly unbuckled my straps, “If you try to harm me, Heather, Jon, or yourself you will regret it. Very much so.”

            “I’ve seen you face,” I hissed through my teeth, “You’re just gonna kill me anyways.”

            “And why would you think that?” Timotheus straightened to loom over me.

            “Because you’re nothing but the average, pathetic, criminal who wants money,” I spat in fury.

            The slap that came in response, connected with my cheek had so much force behind it that my head rocked to the side. Before I could recover, he grabbed me roughly by the chin and brought his face close to mine. His breath tickled my face, “I am not. I am trying to save this pathetic fucking world from scum like your father.”

            And with that, he released me and left the room, slamming the door behind him.

A/N: Hi guys, this summer has been extremely tough for me. I’ve been battling with depression and trying to keep from drowning from the sea of family drama that has been flooding at me. I’ve been trying to clean up my life to make myself happier and make my life easier. So please bear with me as I try to keep up to date with this novel. Thank you so much for reading, please comment, vote, and share. Much love :)