Road of Hope Part 1

Road of Hope

"Are you sure you don't want help Major?" I asked awkwardly as Major Armstrong loaded, what was left of Al, onto a train car full of sheep. "Not at all, just keep making sure the sheep stay contained alright?" He chuckled at me setting Al in the middle of the car. He grunted in approval before gentle pushing the sheep out of the way leaving Al all alone. "Are you sure he'll be okay leaving him with the sheep?" I asked with a quizzical tone.

"Of course he will! Are you questioning his capability to deal with a few sheep?" Armstrong asked looming over me. "N-No sir!" I stammered backing up slightly. "I do not believe you Annika Pearson!" He yelled making me flinch and lean back. "I just think it's cruel to Alphonse because how would you feel if all you could do was listen to sheep for a long train ride?" I questioned regaining my cool.

"I believe it would be splendid." He replied with a serious tone. "Then how about we switch you and Alphonse?" I requested jokingly hopeful. "Not a chance Major Pearson. He stays here." Armstrong answered getting a joking pout. "I really thought you would go for that deal." I joked hanging my head low with a pout.

"Come Major Pearson! We must get back to Edward Elric." He told me starting to drag me off. I made eye contact with Alphonse and mouthed "Sorry". He shrugged shaking his head slightly in a joking way. "Ok good he doesn't hate me for playing it off as a joke." I thought as I followed after Major.

When we got back, Ed was waiting patiently for us to return. Major took the seat next to Ed and I took the seat across from him. There was a little knock on the window catching Ed and I's attention. "Hey." Hughes greeted us simple. "Lt. Colonel?" Ed asked. "The folks at the Eastern Command Center were a little too busy to make it here today, so I came to see you off instead." Hughes explained covering his eyes a bit.

"Great, but would you mind telling me what the majors' are doing here?" Ed complained looking back at us. "For protection... What would happen if Scar came after you again? You're in no shape for a fight now, Ed. The Majors' are here to help. Just try to grin and bear it." Hughes explained with sympathy.

"Children can be so stubborn." Armstrong commented. "Hey shut up! I'm no child!" Ed yelled at the Major. "Anyway... are you sure Al made it on board?" Ed asked calming down a bit. "Of course." Armstrong answered explaining how we got him onto a car with sheep. "I thought he might get lonely without a little company." Major said in his defense.

"My brother isn't some kind of farm animal!" Ed yelled at him grinding his teeth against each other. We heard the bell ring signaling the departure of the train. "Oh...it's time." Hughes said followed by the train's whistle. "Okay, you guys have a safe trip. Stop in and give me a shout the next time you make it to Central." He told us saluting which we returned.

"Bye Mr. Hughes!" I called waving to his as the train pulled away. He chuckled, waving back to me as I pulled my body back in the window. "I didn't realize you were the close to Colonel Hughes." Armstrong commented as I sat back down. "Yeah, he's kind of like the Uncle I never had. He thought it was pretty cool that I got into the military based on my skills alone." I said sitting back in my seat.

"Yeah yeah cool whatever. Can you two be quiet please?" Ed cut in. I resisted the urge to look him dead in the eye and ask "You got a problem one limb?" "Sure Edward." I tell him gritting my teeth. Ed promptly drifted of into a deep sleep, snoring loudly with his mouth open.

Major Armstrong pulled out a small book to occupy his time. "Oh great now I have to think of something to do." I groaned inwardly. I grabbed my gym bag full of..."stuff" and started rummaging around inside it.

"Guns, guns, more guns. Gum? When'd you get there?" I muttered to myself trying to reach the bottom. "Where are you, you stupid- Yes! There it is!" I thought to myself grabbing my sketch book. "I am soo lucky I did the outlines before." I gushed getting my oil pastels, colored pencils, and blending tools.