Chapter One.

Chapter One.

HER EYELIDS FLICKERED for a second then went shut. They flickered again, longer this time and then narrowed into tired slits. She groaned. She opened her eyes, wider this time and was greeted with darkness. She tried to sit up, but was too sleepy. She slumped back in.

The place was rather noisy, unusually so. Conversations were drifting down to her, from where, she did not know. People’s orders, pleas, and others she could not decipher were swarming around her head, and they wouldn’t go away. Why were there so many people in the house? Was Mom having a party…? Not that it was even possible; her mother wasn’t a party animal. At all. Sometimes she believed her mother was allergic to parties.

But her head hurt. It throbbed, pounding incessantly in rhythm to every noise, every little movement she made.  What exactly had she taken last night? She couldn’t remember. She didn’t think she took any alcohol yesterday too; she had been long out of it.

And why was the house so noisy? It sounded like the noise was very close to her, as if inside the building. As if so many people were trooping down the veranda past her doorway. Did Mom bring people over? What time was it anyway? It looked dark, but she couldn’t tell…

She groped for the bedside table and found a clock. Pulling it over, she yawned and squinted at its face. 5 am. It was quite early for such noise, what exactly was Mom doing? Getting frantic, she worried, was something wrong with her mother?

"Mom!" she yelled and when she didn't receive any reply yelled again.

It took a few seconds before she realized none of her words got any far. In fact, it got nowhere at all, as if they were all stuck in her throat, she couldn’t even croak them out. Her throat suddenly felt tight, sore, occupied, as if there was a finger shoved in... . Her head throbbed more with the worry she was thrown into, her hands felt heavy and light at the same time, as if things were weighing her weak arms down.  Her bed was constricting, too small, as if she out grew it and her face felt covered... What was going on?

She looked about. She didn't feel any familiarity with this environment as she did with her room... but she couldn't be anywhere else apart from her room, right? Her posters seemed to be missing... she wasn't sure. She couldn't think much above the throb in her head.

Had her mom taken them off?  She didn’t think her mom would have gone that far even though she didn’t like those particular posters, she knew better and tended to stay out of her daughter's business. She aced in that.

She reached across the bed but found the space empty, where it was supposed to be occupied by her best friend. Where was Jolie anyways? Did she get up early or went to pee? She wasn’t an early riser though… and moreover, it was a weekend. They slept in late. Very.

Of all the years she had known her and they had slept over, Jolie never woke up at night. Megan was always the light sleeper, sometimes annoyingly so.

Her eyes had adjusted to the darkness now. Where were her wardrobes and her bags? She began getting scared... What happened to her room? Where was all of her stuff? Why did it look different?  Was she at Jolie's… Had something happened? Was Jolie up because of that? How could she have slept through it… How could she have allowed her to?

She tried to throw her legs over the edge, but realized she was fully covered with a blanket, an unfamiliar one. She was even waking up in an unfamiliar position. Naturally, she was all around the place, when asleep, though she wouldn’t admit that… as if she had been tucked in. Something was definitely wrong!

Wait, this didn't seem to be her room. Analyzing it critically, as much as her tired brain allowed and trying to adjust her senses to the darkness, she could notice the differences she couldn't see.

The room was definitely not hers and it wasn't Jo's either. Even in this much indisposition, she could swear the bed was in the wrong position, and smelled wrongly... almost like .... detergent and something else. Like antiseptic. Yeah this wasn't a room she knew.

Then where was she...?!

That was when she heard the sound. The consistent beeping, that irritating sound she had failed to hear. It sounded almost like that… they had seen it in many movies to recognize that sound, with that consistent seconds beeping.... Nah... It couldn't be that machine... It would mean she was at.... No way, she could be nowhere near that place, had no reason to, it wasn’t feasible, no way... It wasn't an ECG machine she was hearing...

Despite her fears, her curiosity won her over and she tilted her head in the direction of the sound, as slowly as possible, praying fervently for her fears to be unfounded. She could only utter a choked sound when she turned her head full 90. Her fingers clawed at her throat in frantic, fear driven actions.

                   No way!!! She screamed as her scrambling self fell to the floor in her haste and shock.

Thanks readers for getting here. I hope you liked it. However how did you find it? Was it good, or confusing. How did you find Megan's thoughts here? Was it realistic? Were things over the top?

What of my vocabulary. Please highlight wrong grammar and spellings.

What have you found up about Jolie? Linking this to the previous part, what are your thoughts?

Do let me know. And vote too, please. See you in the next chapter!