Chapter Two

West Hills University Hospital.
[ Late August ]

Chapter Two

NOW THE PLACE WAS NOISIER.

Well, she had deliberately screamed that loud to call attention, but she didn't expect this much of a response. Honestly, her teacher never taught that people of all walks of life could be found in a hospital. She knew she was partly at fault; people normally got scared when they heard a scream. It was a biological imperative.

A blood curling scream always worked. It had always, in the past, played out just as they had planed it. But this time, it backfired. She got the scare.

She was resolved to a coughing fit just as the scream left her lips. Her frantic fingers had shoved the oxygen mask off her face before the scream, but her throat had felt dry. Very dry. Sand papery and parched. As if she hadn't used it for a long time. How long had she been in the hospital?

Almost immediately, people had rushed inside the room. The first person she noticed was her mother, her face tearstained and older than she remembered. She tried picking her up from the floor but was assisted by a nurse who had also just entered. She was placed back in the bed.

"Mom...?" her voice came out coarse and rusty...and scared.

"Yeah baby, it's me. It's your Mom- It's me-" her voice broke.

The light was turned up as two doctors entered and moved to her bedside, a male and a female. The male doctor picked up a chart, run his eyes over and smiled at her.

"Well, Miss Megan, how are you feeling this morning?"

He went about his work as he waited for her answer. He looked down at her again when all he got was a croak. He smiled, "Feeling pains anywhere in particular?"

She used the other hand that wasn't in her mom's to motion over her body. "My head... back... arm...," she croaked again.

"Well all over, huh?" he asked with a frown.

"She was on the floor when we entered, Dr. Sunders. She must have taken a tumble." The nurse supplied. The male doctor nodded and scribbled something down.

The uncomfortable kisses and squeezes her mother was administering was blessedly cut short when the female doctor called, "Mrs. Dean, we'll please ask-

"It's Miss," her mother interrupted, standing up from her crouched position. She was stared at blankly. " Well, it's Miss Norman-Dean but then it's still...," she clarified mumbling along, "it's not Mrs., Miss."

"Oh, okay. I'm sorry, Miss Dean," she retracted, "we'll please ask you to leave the room for the time being. The patient needs much rest. We'll also be conducting tests to see how stable her condition is.... I hope you understand, Mrs. - Miss Dean," she smiled at her error.

"Yes, I do. I fully understand it," she patted Meg's hand and placed it beside her on the bed, then turned to leave.

"Mom," she said a little more insistent now, "What's going-"

"It's just normal procedure. Nothing to be worried about," the doctor smiled.

"Yeah baby, it's very normal. It's done every time someone wakes up from unconsciousness or coma. They just need to check if there's something wrong," her mother reassured.

The word 'baby' rang loud in her ears. She hadn't been called baby in recent times... since...since Dad. Mom quit that long ago... what was wrong?

Then the door burst open. That was when the ceremony started. Various people swarmed in, of different ages, shapes, gender and of course profession. AND THEY WERE ALL TALKING AT ONCE!