Chapter 20 - A Strange Episode

Life could get no better. The children, Tom, Jack and Maggie now felt like they belonged at Little Serrant, and their lives had began to follow a predictable but pleasurable pattern.

As always after long periods of the day spent indoors, with her mind caught up in other people's countries, in other people's histories, other people's languages and other people's souls - Maggie left the Countess behind in her study and ran upstairs to change her clothes. Once ready to face what was left of the summer afternoon, she would race from the house and seek out Thomas and Jack.

The boys always waited at the prearranged time: 3.30 pm approximately. They either sat on the edge of the wooden jetty with their feet dipped in the water or were already waiting aboard one of the three boats, which were tied to the posts along the landing dock.

On this particular day when she joined them, she was in a playful and mischievous mood. "Seeing as I've been employed all day at study, you two can row me to the other side of the lake," she demanded on her arrival.

"Come on, servants, row quicker. I command you to be speedier!" Maggie said teasingly, as they moved away from the edge of the lake and headed in the direction of the island.

"You've spent far too much time with her ladyship," suggested Jack. "You're beginning to sound just like her," he continued.

Maggie smiled and lay stretched out on the boat enjoying both the freedom and the sunshine.

As the boys rowed, they moved towards the shadow of the tall structure: the forbidden folly. It seemed to stand aloft, and indeed strangely alone, upon the island. As they sailed past in the boat, they all moved their heads in its direction and stared across in silence, studying it closely, wondering what dangers it held. Resembling a giant, upside down exclamation mark - on occasions it seemed to be shouting out to them, tempting them to come ashore and explore.

But they never dared.

"It looks sturdy enough," said Tom, rowing, as they passed its shadow.

"Don't even think about it, Thomas," replied Maggie.

"It do look safe, Maggie," agreed Jack. "But it is not worth even stepping onto that island, Tom, cos of all we have to lose. I, for sure, ain't giving up this life in a hurry," he said smiling.

"Indeed so, slave. Now row! Row as fast as you can, row as if your very life depended upon it," commanded Maggie, laughing as she dangled her hand over the edge of the boat and let her fingertips dance on the surface of the water.

After they tied up the boat, Maggie and Jack found themselves alone - as Tom ran up and down the dock below jumping into the lake. They were they sat on the grass not sure what to say to each, so rarely were they left alone.

Then Maggie turned to Jack and said. "I witnessed a very strange incident last night."

"Did you also hear strange noises during the night also," he said turning to her, sitting upright, his eyes wide with anticipation.

"Why? What have you heard?" she replied surprised, and a little shaken by the conversation's turn.

"I don't know, it's hard to explain. Sounds like some sort of wild animal. As if it's trapped, and it's crying out, trying to free itself."

"Why haven't you mentioned this before?" asked Maggie.

Jack roared with laughter. "Your face, Maggie! It's complete picture!"

"What?"

"I was speaking of Tom's snoring! You of all people should know how it feels to sleep in room with such a noise!"

"Are you teasing me again, Jack! Why you horrible boy!" she picked up a clump of grass and threw it in his face. He responded by standing up and grabbing hold of Maggie and began to drag her down to the lake to throw her into the water.

"Quick, Tom, help me get your sister into the water!" he shouted.

Tom joined them. Despite Maggie's plea for him to rescue her from Jack's clutches – he instead began aiding Jack in his plot to throw Maggie from the dock into the lake. She struggled and screamed and scratched but to no avail.

The impact of the water's surface and its coldness and wetness soon seeped into every stitch of clothing upon her person. She quickly rose to the surface and cursed both of the boys. The boys stood upon the dock, laughing as they looked down at Maggie in the water below.

Maggie soon dragged her wet body from the water and lay down on the grass once more, allowing the sun to dry her wet clothes.

After a while she heard Jack rejoin her, and he too lay stretched out on the grass drying out and dozing in the late afternoon sun. She could hear in the distance Tom had run back down to the lake.
She heard how he had charged and plunged from the dock into the water once more. He still loved the water, despite those endless days of foraging in deep sludge upon the Thames. She began to wonder if he would really care a jot, if they were somehow transported back there at that very moment.

"So what was this strange thing you were about to tell me," Jack asked after a couple of minutes.

"I should not be speaking to you, after what you just did. You snake in the grass."

"Fine, I'm not interested anyhow," replied Jack.

After a brief pause, Maggie began. "It is probably nothing. But I was having difficulty sleeping again last night." She sat up straight on the grass and played with a wild dandelion flower between her fingers.

"Could you hear his snoring from your room?" Jack said laughing to himself as he straightened up to meet her gaze. For a moment Maggie felt a flush of something through her body, as Jack stared into her eyes.

Turning her head and looking down at the flower - she picked nervously at its petals - then continued, "I had schoolwork to complete for the Countess. As I always do when I need some motivation for my writing, I made my way down to her study to find a place of comfort."

"I began my writing and must have fallen asleep on the settee near to the bookshelf. When I awoke, my candle had gone out. I was cold, and I was hidden from view, facing away from the main door. As I stretched, still half-asleep, I heard a bit of a commotion: two people talking quietly by the Countess' desk. I did not get up in case they thought I was intruding, or in case they thought I was spying on them in some way. I waited until the people had left the room. Then I stood up, and then went to leave the room myself - to head back to my bedroom."

"As I as leaving, I looked to the window and my eye caught sight of a light moving down towards the lake. I moved to the window and saw that it was the Countess and Sexton heading down to the boats. I stood and watched as they got inside a boat and Sexton rowed off, with the Countess holding the lamp - heading, I think, over toward the folly. "

"The folly?" Jack repeated surprised.

"I'm not sure, for I left quickly. But they seemed to be heading over in that direction."

"At what time was this?" asked Jack.

"I looked at the clock when I returned to my room and it was heading towards four O'clock."

"Did you hear them say anything to each other?"

"The female voice, it must have been the Countess', was angry with Sexton that they were going to be late for something."

"Strange," replied Jack suspiciously. "What could they be late for at four in the morning?"

"Indeed. Very strange." Maggie said echoing his thoughts.

"Wouldn't mention this to the Countess," suggested Jack. "She might think you up to no good. Like spying - as you said."

"Yes, you are probably right," she said hesitantly. "I'll keep it to myself. You do likewise. No need to tell Thomas about it either."

Maggie followed Jack's example and lay back down on the grass. They fell into silence once more, for a few minutes at least. Then Jack turned to Maggie, "I'm glad you didn't end up working for Charlie, back in London."

"And so am I. Thanks to you," she replied turning to him and smiling back at him, but Jack was no longer looking in her direction.

He seemed awkward and continued to talk with his head positioned straight and his eyes closed.

"I'm glad you didn't work for him and ruin yourself." He paused unsure how to continue. "You was meant for a better life, Maggie. I can see it now. I didn't want you to end up like Kitten and the rest who -"

Maggie sat up and interrupted him. "It's not their fault they end up doing what they do. If you hadn't have suggested we leave, and we fortunately found our way here, then I too may have been living a different life to this."

"I know that Maggie, I'm just glad is all. Glad you is still who you is. You've not had to change. You is still decent, that's all." Jack was lying, statue-like, upon the grass, stiffening with each word he spoke.

Maggie lay back down.

"You're a wonderful person to know, " he continued. "That is all I was meaning to say, Maggie."

"And so are you, Jack. Despite your teasing," she replied.

***

Thank you so much for reading this chapter. If you have enjoyed it, please remember to vote. Thanks! :-)