Chapter 17 - A Sanctuary

Chapter 17 – A Sanctuary

The children enjoyed complete freedom to come and go as they pleased, and they also enjoyed magnificent food and luxuries beyond their wildest dreams during their first week at the Countess' home.

One morning after breakfast, they joined the Countess in her study. Her face was grave and they knew she had serious news to impart. She asked them all to be seated. Maggie thought one of the boys (no, she knew it was Jack!) had stolen something and their expulsion from Eden would inevitably follow.

"I have not really had the opportunity to talk to you individually this week. For that I apologise, children. I know most nights at dinner it is I who drones on and on about my past life and of my own childhood in France. The curse of being an old woman, I suppose. Tonight, I promise, I shall be more sociable and we will speak of your futures here at Little Serrant."

As she spoke her face lost some of its severity. Maggie felt relieved and looked to Tom and Jack and saw nervous smiles creep back upon their faces. They, too, must have had the same misgivings as she.

The Countess continued, "Boys, please would you mind leaving Margaret and I alone for a while?"

The Countess then recognised apprehension return to Maggie's face. "Oh fear not my dear. We have women's matters to discuss and I'm sure the boys would rather be outside on a day like this, rather than listening to two females harping on."

They nodded in agreement.

"Very well, go! Do as boys your age are supposed to do."

The boys leapt from their chairs and ran from the room. Maggie had been alone with the Countess on a number of occasions, but still felt a faint anxiety when left alone in her presence.

"How are you feeling, Margaret?" asked the Countess after a brief pause.

"I am well, my lady," she replied, her gaze catching for the first time the portrait of a woman on the wall above from where the Countess sat. There was a similar-looking painting, of a similar-looking woman, occupying a space on the landing near her room, and Maggie thought she could see a likeness between the Countess and the beautiful lady in the painting. She wanted to ask, but held her tongue.

"You are at that awkward age now, Margaret. You are no longer a child nor are you yet quite a woman. Things will begin to change from now on. Do you know what I am referring to?"

"I do, my lady. And without a mother to guide me, I hope you will be able to offer advice in such matters."

"Indeed, I hope I will be up to the task," the Countess replied. "On the subject of your mother, what has happened that you and your brother find yourself so alone in this wretched world?"

"I'm afraid she has departed this world for a better place," she replied.

"I am very sad to hear, Margaret."

Briefly she told the Countess about her mother's descent into illness and her eventual death. In turn, the Countess paid Maggie a fulsome compliment, praised her for her dedication in looking after Thomas.

"And your father, my dear. What of him?" She asked.

"I would rather not talk of him for the time being," Maggie replied.

"Very well, I understand. Also, I have not asked before - and you have no need to tell me - but why were you running around the streets of London last week? Were you being chased by somebody?" she probed.

Maggie decided to tell a partial truth. "Some men...How can I put this without sounding coarse?"

"I am beyond shock now, Margaret. Do not worry I have seen all humanity has to offer. And most of what I have witnessed is quite repulsive I have to say."

"These men, they had a certain proposition for me," she spoke hesitantly. "They would not take no for an answer and they were trying to force me into a life that was immoral and ungodly."

"You made the right choice, my dear. The right choice indeed." The Countess seemed overjoyed with Maggie's resolve to keep her purity. "Your virtue is God's greatest gift to you. Throwing it away for financial gain is a mortal sin. But you are such a bright young thing, I guess you already knew that."

"Thank you, my lady. I knew you wouldn't judge me too harshly."

"Tell me, then, Margaret, what are your plans for the future?" she asked. "And where will you go next?"

Maggie decided not to reveal too much about Sanctuary, Mr William Turner or indeed the actions or whereabouts of her father. She did tell her she regarded herself and Tom as orphans and Jack, a stray, who they had picked up on the way.

"I know we have a distant relative up near Manchester," she said continuing with the fabrication. "I think we shall head up that way - in the future," she said stretching the truth as far as she could.