Sinful Infatuation: Chapter 16

A/N: Even though this update is pretty short (but chuck full of info) in comparison to my past updates I decided to do it anyway because of the holiday and my schedule. I know I’m not going to have time to make this several pages long in one go like usual. So, super sorry for that. The other part is in works though so I won’t completely leave you hanging. Anticipate an update next week.

I added a picture of what Jourdain’s ring looks like. At first I wasn’t going to, (you know: use your imagination and all that jazz) but I changed my mind and decided to put a pic up anyway.

*Also remember when Matteo affectionately calls Jourdain “pucci” its pronounced poo-chee not puck-ee (somebody asked me to clarify lol…).

Lastly my new story Bayou Med is in the works, so when I post the first chapter please show it your support!

Thanks for everything guys! Enjoy.

Happy Fourth of July.

****

Present Day: January 14

Rikers Island 

New York, New York

12:15pm

Minutes had passed while the two stubbornly stared at each other through the thick glass panel. Jourdain shook her head, gripping the phone tightly. They were wasting valuable time. She decided to switch tactics. She picked up her ring, twirling it this way and that, pretending to be interested in the way it glinted in the light. “I wonder how much I could get this for if I pawn it,” she murmured into the phone.

“Jourdain,” Matteo growled. “Put--”                                       

“Do you remember what you said to me that night you proposed?” She asked, interrupting him. Jourdain continued to twirl and examine the ring as she waited for an answer.

Matteo was silent for a moment, no doubt wondering where she was heading with the question. “I said a lot of things that night. We also did a lot of things that night.”

Jourdain fought a blush as his voice lowered suggestively. “Oh no, Mr. Nicoletti. You’re not going to distract me with sex this time. Answer my question. Do you remember what you said to me that night? In the tent?”

“It was more like a cabana than a tent.”

Jourdain finally turned and gave him a glare similar to the one she used on Luciano when he tried to sneak snacks after she told him no. From Matteo’s expression she could tell he knew exactly what she was talking about, but he kept circumventing the topic. “You made me a promise. And now you’re going back on your word. In fact, you’ve been shitting on that promise, repeatedly, ever since you said it.”

“I always keep my word, Jourdain.”

“Not when it’s made to me you don’t,” she muttered. Jourdain bit her bottom lip as she felt it begin to tremble. She couldn’t do this anymore. “I can’t do this anymore Matteo. I’m done.”

“Done with questioning me? Thank God. I get enough of that from my lawyers,” Matteo quipped dryly.

“You know what I mean. I’m done with this relationship,” Jourdain clarified. She watched silently as Matteo’s eyes narrowed and a vibrant red began to creep along the length of his neck. In response to the tense silence, she began to ramble, as if she were Lindsay Lohan in Mean Girls with a bad case of word vomit. “If that’s even what this is. It’s more like you go around doing whatever the fuck you please while I sit around with Luciano wondering if you’re going to make it home tonight. Or maybe you’ll make it home, but one of your so-called “enemies” will follow you and light up our house with gunfire like a goddamn Christmas tree. I’m done with the waiting, the wondering. Wondering if when I ask you a question if I am getting the full, honest truth from you. Luciano deserves better. I deserve better. I’ve been dealing with this shit for three years now and I am done. I want a divorce.”